One Florida city finishes on top with the cheapest overall travel cost.
If you’ve been considering a winter vacation in the new year, start planning and booking now to ensure you get the lowest prices.
The cheapest weeks to visit popular destinations during winter 2017 generally fall in January, according to TripAdvisor’s recently released 2017 Winter Vacation Value Report.
As spokesperson Brooke Ferencsik explains the report findings:
“Americans thinking past the holidays and booking their winter vacations may want to consider traveling soon after the New Year, when some of the best rates are available. Based on TripAdvisor booking data, those that visit these hot spots during mid-late January can save an average of 16 percent compared to February or March.”
For its latest report, TripAdvisor used site search data to identify the most popular destinations for U.S. travelers during the upcoming winter travel period — defined as Jan. 1 through March 31.
The top 10 destinations were then ranked based on the average cost of a visit. Orlando, Florida, came out on top with the cheapest overall cost.
Like Orlando, all of the top 10 cities with the exception of New York offer winter climates ranging from relatively mild to downright tropical.
The top 10 cities — with average total travel cost for a one-week winter trip and the cheapest week to visit — are:
- Orlando, Florida: $1,870 — Week of Jan. 16
- Las Vegas: $2,040 — Week of Jan. 23
- Cancun, Mexico: $2,220 — Week of Jan. 16
- Fort Lauderdale, Florida: $2,281 — Week of Jan. 16
- Puerto Vallarta, Mexico: $2,286 — Week of Jan. 16
- New York City: $2,341 — Week of Jan. 23
- Playa del Carmen, Mexico: $2,575 — Week of Jan. 16
- Cabo San Lucas, Mexico: $2,698 — Week of Jan. 9
- Honolulu: $2,819 — Week of March 6
- Key West, Florida: $3,223 — Week of Jan. 16
To learn more about these cities, click on their names or check out “Honolulu Bound? 6 Awesome Things to Do (5 of Them for Cheap).”
For more ways to save on your next vacation — wherever and whenever you go — check out “14 Proven Ways to Save on Travel.”
Do you expect to travel this winter? Let us know where you’d most want to visit by commenting below or on Facebook.