- Will Obamacare Complicate Your Taxes? Not Likely
- Today’s Deals: Wednesday, Jan. 28
- Definitely Buy These 15 Things at a Dollar Store
- Ask Stacy: Do I Need a Financial Adviser, or Can I Manage My Money Myself?
- 5 Things to Think About Before Going to Back to School After Age 50
- 12 Commonly Overlooked Expenses That Are Ruining Your Budget
7. Check Your Battery
Summer heat is tough on batteries. Make sure your terminals (the posts that stick up) are clean. One way to clean them is to use a baking soda/water solution. Pour it on, watch it fizz, wipe it off. Make sure your battery is held down securely. Most batteries these days are maintenance-free, meaning you can’t add water to them. But if there are caps to allow it to be filled, check the water level and if it’s low, add distilled (not tap) water.
Happily, batteries are another thing your local auto parts store will check for you, usually free. If in doubt, seek one out.