- 20 Ways (and 30 Apps) to Make Your Smartphone Pay for Itself
- Pop Quiz: Can a Store Force You to Spend $10 to Use a Credit Card?
- Ask Stacy: Why Are Stocks Tanking, and What Should I Do?
- 10 Frugal Ways to Fight the Flu
- 8 Secrets to Building a Budget You Can Live With
- Pop Quiz: Who Do You Contact First When You Want to Buy a Home?
- 20 Surefire Ways to Slam the Brakes on Impulse Buys
- Banking Fees Are Killing You. Here are 14 Ways to Dodge Them
With all the turmoil in the market, how about a fun blast from the past? “What Makes Us Tick” is a cartoon produced in 1952 by Sutherland Productions and sponsored by the New York Stock Exchange. Following the story of John Q. Public, a “Joe The Plumber” from the 50’s, it gives an overview of how companies go public, how trades work, and why the NYSE is the only place to put your money (don’t necessarily follow that advice). Still, there’s plenty of good information for anyone seeking a better grasp on what stocks are and where they come from. So… take your mind of the upcoming recession for a few minutes, and enjoy this financial trip back to 1952.
Released under the Creative Commons License: Public Domain as part of the Prelinger Archives of the Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division