- 17 Remarkably Easy Ways to Raise Holiday Shopping Cash
- Pop Quiz: Terrorists Destroy Your Home. Will the Insurance Company Pay?
- The Allure of Medical Magnets and Other Unproven ‘Cures’
- The 5 Most Complained About Cars in America
- 18 Affordable Tips to Help You Sleep Like a Baby
- Take 5: A Roundup of Reads From Around the Web
- Can You Trust Carfax? (Plus 4 Other Ways to Avoid Buying a Clunker)
- Your Car Is Spying On You: How to Protect Yourself
With all the turmoil in the market, how about a fun blast from the past? “What Makes Us Tick” is a cartoon produced in 1952 by Sutherland Productions and sponsored by the New York Stock Exchange. Following the story of John Q. Public, a “Joe The Plumber” from the 50′s, it gives an overview of how companies go public, how trades work, and why the NYSE is the only place to put your money (don’t necessarily follow that advice). Still, there’s plenty of good information for anyone seeking a better grasp on what stocks are and where they come from. So… take your mind of the upcoming recession for a few minutes, and enjoy this financial trip back to 1952.
Released under the Creative Commons License: Public Domain as part of the Prelinger Archives of the Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division