If there’s one thing the Internet has changed more than anything else (with the exception of porn, perhaps) it’s shopping. And if there’s one time of the year when the internet really shines for shoppers, it’s the holidays.
First, the Internet is full of ideas and articles specifically relating to how to save on holiday shopping. For example, here’s an article with 150 ideas on ways to save on everything from wrapping paper to gifts to decorations: 150 Surefire Ways to Save Money this Christmas. If that’s not enough, just cut out this phrase and paste into your favorite search engine: “ways save money christmas”. You’ll get millions of responses in less than a second.
That being said, here are some ways to save that didn’t make it into this year’s story:
- Use FatWallet.com for Cash Back – FatWallet.com offers cash back of between 1 and 20%, so before you start your shopping, join. Once you’re a member, you simply go through FatWallet to reach your favorite online retailers and start earning rebates. The money shows up in your FatWallet account, but you can’t redeem it until it reaches $10. This site also has specials, especially during the holidays, where retailers compete for your business by offering bigger rebates.
- Use other cash-back sites – At Ebates, you register with the site, go to your favorite retailer through it, and start earning cash back. Rebates also range from 1 – 25%.
- Bing Cashback – Microsoft’s version of a rebate site. Here you can browse and find which merchant is selling your desired item at the best price. And like the others, you get paid a percentage of any item’s price for using the service. Find it at bing.com/cashback
- Agree to a spending limit per person
- Read 8 Tips to Save at Christmas
Sign up for our free newsletter
Like this article? Sign up for our newsletter and we'll send you a regular digest of our newest stories, full of money saving tips and advice, free! We'll also email you a PDF of Stacy Johnson's '205 Ways to Save Money' as soon as you've subscribed. It's full of great tips that'll help you save a ton of extra cash. It doesn't cost a dime, so why wait? Click here to sign up now.