- How to Avoid a Delayed Flight and Other Air Travel Woes
- IPhone 6 Feature Prevents Law Enforcement From Accessing Your Data
- Go Big or Go Home: The Million-Dollar Halloween Costume
- Pop Quiz: Does an Airline Have to Put You Up in a Hotel When Your Flight is Canceled?
- The Restless Project: $60K Income Doesn’t Cut It for My Family
- Target May Be Starting a Free-Shipping War
- Who is the Richest Person in Your State?
- MasterCard Introducing Fingerprint-Scanning Credit Card
Pity the poor chief information officer. CIOs don’t earn the paycheck or the respect of CEOs. And instead of giving bold orders, they get asked ridiculous questions.
How ridiculous? A survey released yesterday by Robert Half Technology asked 1,400 CIOs at U.S. companies with 100 or more employees…
“What is the strangest or most unusual request you or a member of your help desk or technical support team has ever received?”
Among the most amusing computer-related questions those CIOs heard…
- “How do I clean cat hair out of my computer fan?”
- “How do I remove a sesame seed from the keyboard?”
- “Can I turn on the coffee pot with my computer?”
- “I dropped my phone in the toilet. What should I do?”
- “How do I pirate software?”
- “How do I start the Internet?”
- “Will you show me how to use the mouse?”
- “How do I send an email?”
- “How do I click on different files?”
- “Where can I find a video of Elvis Presley online?”
But it’s not only tech that stumps employees. Those CIOs also report that their help desks have been asked the following…
- “Can you recommend a good dry cleaner?”
- “Can you help me fix my toilet?”
- “Can you help me fix my chair?”
- “My car’s cup holder is broken. Can you fix it?”
- “Can you help me repair a washing machine?”
“Beyond their entertainment value,these unusual requests demonstrate the strong customer service skills necessary to work in the help desk and technical support fields,” says John Reed, the executive director of Robert Half Technology. “The best IT professionals are composed and empathetic – and, of course, have a good sense of humor.”
For more laughs, check out The 10 Most Outrageous Excuses for Being Late to Work.