- How to Avoid a Delayed Flight and Other Air Travel Woes
- IPhone 6 Feature Prevents Law Enforcement From Accessing Your Data
- Go Big or Go Home: The Million-Dollar Halloween Costume
- Pop Quiz: Does an Airline Have to Put You Up in a Hotel When Your Flight is Canceled?
- The Restless Project: $60K Income Doesn’t Cut It for My Family
- Target May Be Starting a Free-Shipping War
- Who is the Richest Person in Your State?
- MasterCard Introducing Fingerprint-Scanning Credit Card
Smartphones may soon speed up checkout at Walmart.
Mashable reported Friday that the retail giant is testing an iPhone-based self-checkout system at an Arkansas store…
Customers bag their purchases as they shop, and are required to stop by a self-checkout to pay for them before leaving the store, so you’re not actually finalizing your purchase on your phone.
The app also allows customers to create virtual shopping lists, and see what items on their list are in stock.
This differs from mobile payments, where you pay with a wave of the phone but otherwise go through a normal check-out process. (But the two could theoretically be combined.)
The company’s also adding more self-checkout lanes at Walmart and Sam’s Club, “in an effort to cut costs and lower prices for customers.”