- Does Money Lingo Make Your Head Spin? Here’s What It Really Means
- Pop Quiz: Can You Profit When Stocks Fall?
- Ask Stacy: Should I Buy Gold?
- A Simple Way to Invest Your Retirement Savings
- Ask Stacy: Why Are Stocks Tanking, and What Should I Do?
- There Are 30 Ways to Avoid the Penalty for Not Buying Health Insurance
- Don’t Own Any Bitcoin? Be Happy
- 6 Football Strategies You Can Use to Retire Rich
He spent 2 1/2 years in jail for helping wealthy clients dodge taxes. Now he’ll get $104 million for spilling his secrets.
NBC News reports Bradley Birkenfeld will receive a whistleblower award from the IRS for revealing the workings of the Swiss bank UBS that thousands of wealthy Americans were using for illegal offshore accounts:
Birkenfeld attorney Stephen Kohn said the information the former Swiss banker turned over to the IRS led directly to the $780 million fine paid to the US by his former employer, UBS, as well as leading over 35,000 taxpayers to participate in amnesty programs to voluntarily repatriate their illegal offshore accounts. Kohn said that resulted in the collection of over $5 billion dollars in back taxes, fines and penalties that otherwise would have remained outside the reach of the government.
If you’re curious, just yesterday we posted Why Do the Rich Invest Offshore?