- How to Avoid a Delayed Flight and Other Air Travel Woes
- IPhone 6 Feature Prevents Law Enforcement From Accessing Your Data
- Go Big or Go Home: The Million-Dollar Halloween Costume
- Pop Quiz: Does an Airline Have to Put You Up in a Hotel When Your Flight is Canceled?
- The Restless Project: $60K Income Doesn’t Cut It for My Family
- Take 5: A Roundup of Reads From Around the Web
- Target May Be Starting a Free-Shipping War
- Who is the Richest Person in Your State?
In last week’s post Name Our Latest Addition and Win a T-Shirt! we asked you to help us name our newest resource: three to five short, money-related stories now being posted every weekday whenever news breaks.
You’ll see them in the middle column of the homepage. What they have in common is that they’re breaking news, they’re interesting, and they’re money and/or consumer-related. For example, over the last few days we’ve posted Bacteria Produces Pure Gold, 6 Part-Time Jobs with Benefits, and Free Apps That Save Money.
Last week we asked for help in naming the new feature, and we got a lot of cool and clever suggestions, including…
- Zip Quips
- Cliffs Notes (may have had a copyright issue with that one!)
- On the Money
- Money Fast News
- Fast Take
- Brief Talks
- 60 Second Savings
- Spare Change
- Fast Facts
- Quick Tips
- On the QT
- Small change
- Mo News (my personal favorite!)
- Time Out
- Daily Dose
But the entry our panel of judges ultimately decided on? Oddly, the same name we’d used before for a discontinued daily news summary: “Money in a Minute.”
Submitted by Jayne Uberti from San Francisco, it’s unclear whether she knew we’d used the name before or coined the phrase herself. Either way, that’s the name that resonated most with the four staffers assigned to pick the winner.
For picking the winning title, Jayne won herself a “Broke, stupid and lonely” T-shirt. But we’re also going to be selecting a few other submissions at random and giving away a few more. If you’re a winner, you’ll be hearing from us shortly.
Thanks for participating, everyone!
And now that our latest feature has been officially named, don’t forget to check it out – it’s designed to keep you up to speed with things you need to know all day, every day.