- How to Avoid a Delayed Flight and Other Air Travel Woes
- IPhone 6 Feature Prevents Law Enforcement From Accessing Your Data
- Go Big or Go Home: The Million-Dollar Halloween Costume
- Pop Quiz: Does an Airline Have to Put You Up in a Hotel When Your Flight is Canceled?
- The Restless Project: $60K Income Doesn’t Cut It for My Family
- Take 5: A Roundup of Reads From Around the Web
- Target May Be Starting a Free-Shipping War
- Who is the Richest Person in Your State?
Looking for a quick, affordable dinner that feeds four for less than $15? Today, our new video series Frugal Family Feast – which is all about using fresh, affordable ingredients to prepare budget-conscious bites – features delicious enchiladas.
Money Talks News founder Stacy Johnson teams up with chef Jorge Montes, owner of Chef George Catering, to bring us a scrumptious, toasty treat with homemade enchilada sauce. Check out this video below, then read on for the recipe.
Chicken Enchiladas – courtesy of Chef Jorge Montes
2 lbs. chicken breast
1 cup cheddar cheese
¼ cup cilantro
½ small red onion
3 garlic cloves
½ cup tomato sauce
1 chipotle pepper
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
Place chicken in a small pot, cover with water and simmer for 10 minutes.
Remove chicken and let it cool.
Place all sauce ingredients in a roasting pan and bake at 450 degrees for 12 minutes.
Puree in blender and strain mixture to get seeds out.
Set aside to top rolled tortillas.
Shred chicken and place a small handful in a tortilla.
Sprinkle a pinch of cilantro and roll up tortilla.
Place all eight rolled tortillas in a baking dish and cover with enchilada sauce and cheese.
Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
Great deal for just under $15! Chef George also recommends using what you have at home to stretch your food dollars – leftover rotisserie chicken, roast pork, beef, beans, or veggies to fill the enchiladas.