- The Allure of Medical Magnets and Other Unproven ‘Cures’
- Wireless Carriers Duke It Out With Unlimited Data Plans
- Is Your Online Love Interest Putting Your Money at Risk?
- Welcome to The Restless Project: This Is Why You Can’t Sleep at Night
- Here Are The Best – and Worst – Cell Companies
- Odds Are, Hackers Have Your Medical File
- The Hidden Dangers in Your Kid’s Backpack
- Most Americans Spend Some of Their Vacation Working
The Morning Call explains…
Turned out that not only had someone gained access to [Bernie] Williams’ Gmail account, the hacker also had perused enough of Williams’ correspondence to figure out who his accountant was and how to tailor an email that would seem as if Williams had written it, including references to past conversations.
The hacker used that information to wire himself $8,629 (why that number?) from Williams’ account. And the bank and investigators said there was nothing they could do about it.
Read the whole crazy story, then think about updating to a better password and (if you use Gmail) enabling two-step verification security. Oh, and tell your accountant to call you to confirm any irregular transfers.