- The IRS has doubled the number of employees assigned to tax-related ID theft in the past year to over 3,000.
- The agency has trained 35,000 employees who work with taxpayers to recognize identity theft indicators and help people victimized by identity theft.
- The IRS has activated dozens of new identity theft filters.
- A substantial increase in the number of identity theft investigations instituted by the IRS Criminal Investigations.
- The IRS is working with over 130 financial institutions to identify identity theft fraud schemes and block refunds from reaching the hands of identity thieves.
Let’s hope it pays off – no pun intended. The IRS has a tip sheet for how you can help prevent getting ripped off, too.
Subscribe by email
Like this article? Sign up for our email updates and we’ll send you a regular digest of our newest stories, full of money saving tips and advice, free! We’ll also email you a PDF of Stacy Johnson’s ’205 Ways to Save Money’ as soon as you’ve subscribed. It’s full of great tips that’ll help you save a ton of extra cash. It doesn’t cost a dime, so why wait? Click here to sign up now.