- New Rules Mean Hundreds in Energy Savings With Your Next Refrigerator
- Open Enrollment: Your Company’s Flexible Spending Account Is Probably Better Than It Used to Be
- 8 Ways to Pay Less for Baby-Sitting
- Bigger Isn’t Always Better: 10 Products Where a Smaller Size Will Do
- Waiting in Line for an iPhone: What Makes Some People Behave Like Cows
- America’s Most Overrated Jobs
- Walmart’s New Employee Dress Code Sparks Debate
- 10 Silly Sales Tactics You Fall for Every Day
Some states offer sales tax exemptions for back-to-school supplies and clothing every summer, but that’s not the only type of sales tax holiday.
Throughout the year, some states exempt Energy Star appliances or WaterSense products, with the first of these sales tax holidays happening in Maryland this weekend. In time for hurricane season, some coastal states exempt emergency supplies like batteries and self-powered flashlights and portable radios. A couple of states even exempt hunting supplies, including firearms.
If you live in one of the states below, mark the dates on your calendar and check the relevant website to learn exactly which items qualify for a sales tax exemption.
|Alabama||Feb. 22 – 24||Severe-weather preparedness supplies||Website|
|Georgia*||TBD||Energy Star and WaterSense products||Website|
|Louisiana||May 25 – 26||Hurricane preparedness supplies||Website|
|Louisiana||Sept. 6 – 8||Firearms, ammunition, and hunting supplies||Website|
|Maryland||Feb. 16 – 18||Energy Star products||Website|
|Missouri||April 19 – 25||Energy Star products||Website|
|North Carolina||Nov. 1 – 3||Energy Star products||Website|
|South Carolina**||TBD||Energy Star and WaterSense products||Website|
|South Carolina||Nov. 29 – 30||Handguns, rifles, and shotguns||Website|
|Texas||May 25 – 27||Energy Star products||Website|
|Virginia||May 25 – 31||Hurricane and emergency preparedness equipment||Website|
|Virginia||Oct. 11 – 14||Energy Star and WaterSense products||Website|
*Georgia offered this exemption in October last year but has yet to announce 2013 dates, so check their website when October nears.