- You May Want to Retire in One of These States
- Is It OK to Use Your Smartphone While Dining in a Restaurant?
- Walmart Offers an Alternative to a Bank Checking Account
- Ask Stacy: The Millennials Are Ruining This Country. What Can We Do?
- Are In-Flight Mobile Phone Calls a Recipe for Disaster and Passenger Fights?
- There’s No Such Thing As Comfort Food
- 1 in 4 Jobs in the US Are Low-Paying
- Is Dental Insurance Worth the Cost?
Some states offer sales tax exemptions for back-to-school supplies and clothing every summer, but that’s not the only type of sales tax holiday.
Throughout the year, some states exempt Energy Star appliances or WaterSense products, with the first of these sales tax holidays happening in Maryland this weekend. In time for hurricane season, some coastal states exempt emergency supplies like batteries and self-powered flashlights and portable radios. A couple of states even exempt hunting supplies, including firearms.
If you live in one of the states below, mark the dates on your calendar and check the relevant website to learn exactly which items qualify for a sales tax exemption.
|Alabama||Feb. 22 – 24||Severe-weather preparedness supplies||Website|
|Georgia*||TBD||Energy Star and WaterSense products||Website|
|Louisiana||May 25 – 26||Hurricane preparedness supplies||Website|
|Louisiana||Sept. 6 – 8||Firearms, ammunition, and hunting supplies||Website|
|Maryland||Feb. 16 – 18||Energy Star products||Website|
|Missouri||April 19 – 25||Energy Star products||Website|
|North Carolina||Nov. 1 – 3||Energy Star products||Website|
|South Carolina**||TBD||Energy Star and WaterSense products||Website|
|South Carolina||Nov. 29 – 30||Handguns, rifles, and shotguns||Website|
|Texas||May 25 – 27||Energy Star products||Website|
|Virginia||May 25 – 31||Hurricane and emergency preparedness equipment||Website|
|Virginia||Oct. 11 – 14||Energy Star and WaterSense products||Website|
*Georgia offered this exemption in October last year but has yet to announce 2013 dates, so check their website when October nears.