- How to Avoid a Delayed Flight and Other Air Travel Woes
- IPhone 6 Feature Prevents Law Enforcement From Accessing Your Data
- Go Big or Go Home: The Million-Dollar Halloween Costume
- Pop Quiz: Does an Airline Have to Put You Up in a Hotel When Your Flight is Canceled?
- The Restless Project: $60K Income Doesn’t Cut It for My Family
- Take 5: A Roundup of Reads From Around the Web
- Target May Be Starting a Free-Shipping War
- Who is the Richest Person in Your State?
Hearty beef and vegetable soup conjures up images of warming up after a long day playing in the snow. Soup’s a relaxing way to end just about any day, and every spoonful of this fabulous recipe will soothe both heart and tummy.
Soup is also a great budget-friendly meal because it’s cheap and you can freeze it for later.
Chef Chad Thilborger, author of “Whole Heap of Goodness,” shared his recipe for Hearty Beef and Vegetable Soup with Money Talks News founder Stacy Johnson. Watch them make this wonderful soup in the following video, then read on for the recipe.
A soup like this is a meal in a bowl, and a great way to feed a hungry family for less than 15 bucks! The beef, onions, potatoes, and other veggies give it body and flavor.
Chef Chad recommends cutting the vegetables into larger bite-sized pieces, to reinforce the hearty appearance. He also suggests trying other veggies, such as sweet potatoes and acorn squash. This is definitely a dish you can customize to taste.
Stew meat is budget-friendly, and it browns up beautifully. You’ll find this dish can go much farther than feeding just four people: Adjust the liquid and other ingredients to your desired batch size. Make a big pot on the weekend and it’ll last throughout the week.
Soups freeze well, which makes for a fast, home-cooked meal anytime. To freeze, let it cool completely after cooking. Fill a quart-sized container, leaving about a half-inch of room at the top to allow for expansion. Thaw it by putting it in the fridge overnight. Reheat on the stovetop over medium heat. The soup should last in the freezer for up to two months.
The recipe is simple, but the flavor complex. And you’ll love how great the house will smell when it’s cooking.
Beef and Vegetable Soup – Courtesy of Chef Chad Thilborger
- 2 to 3 pounds stew meat (cubed)
- 1 large onion
- 4 large carrots
- 1 bunch of celery
- 1 tablespoon of chopped garlic
- 2 large green bell peppers
- 2 potatoes
- 48 to 64 ounces of beef broth (depending on how much soup you want to make)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stock pot, pour in olive oil and heat. Add beef and brown well. Then add broth and leave on high.
- While beef and broth are still on the stove, chop all vegetables into bite-sized pieces. I leave them larger because it makes a heartier-appearing soup.
- Add all cut vegetables.
- Once soup is boiling for 5 minutes, reduce to a simmer and let cook for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper as desired and serve.
After you try the recipe, go to our Facebook page and let us know how you liked it!