- Feds Target Suspected Payday Loan Scams
- America’s 10 Best Cities to Live In
- Occupy Wipes Out Nearly $4 Million in Strangers’ Student Loan Debt
- The Most Counterfeited Products and 8 Ways to Avoid Purchasing Them
- 5 Reasons to Take a Company Buyout (And Why You Might Think Twice)
- The 10 Most Dangerous Jobs in the US
- Family Caregivers Pay a High Price for Taking Care of Loved Ones
- Are You an Employee or a Contractor? (In Other Words, Is Your Boss Ripping You Off?)
A hearty and filling soup can be a fabulous, affordable meal. With that in mind, this week’s Frugal Family Feast features a savory potato soup with sausage, spinach and onion.
This is a delicious meal for a family of four for less than $15. Chef Rey used fresh, mild turkey Italian sausage, but feel free to use a spicy pork or turkey Italian sausage if you like.
You start by removing the casing from the sausage, and cooking the sausage until it is browned and crumbled. Make sure the meat is thoroughly cooked and is not pink.
Add the thinly sliced onion and cook until it is almost translucent, then add everything else but the spinach and cream. Cook until the potatoes are fork-tender, stirring occasionally.
Turn off the heat and blend the soup with an immersion blender or potato masher. Once the soup is a consistency you like, add the spinach and the heavy cream. Stir and serve.
This potato soup with sausage, spinach and onion takes about 35 minutes to prepare.
Potato soup with sausage and onion – courtesy of Publix Aprons Cooking School
- 1/2 pound mild Italian sausage
- 1 small white onion
- 3/4 pound baking potatoes
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 6 ounces baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
To prepare soup:
- Preheat large saucepan on medium heat two to three minutes. Remove casing from sausage and place sausage in pan. Wash hands. Brown five to seven minutes, stirring to crumble sausage, or until no pink remains. While sausage cooks, slice onion thinly. Cut potatoes into quarters, then slice thinly.
- Stir onions into sausage. Cook one to two minutes or until onions are softened. Add water, Italian seasoning and potatoes. Cook and stir occasionally for 12 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Puree soup lightly using an immersion blender or potato masher until it reaches desired smoothness. Stir in the spinach and cream. Serve and enjoy.
After you try this recipe, go to our Facebook page and let us know how you like it.