- Ask Stacy: How Am I Supposed to Live on Social Security?
- What If You Can’t Pay Your Medical Bills?
- 32 Clever Uses for Coffee Filters Other Than Making Coffee
- IPhone 6 Is Expected to Include a Mobile Wallet
- SAT Tutor Caters to the Kids of the Very Wealthy
- Report: Students Should Beware of Campus Debit Cards
- 7 Tips to Slash the Cost of Car Repairs
- Bank Fees Hit New Highs
Satisfy a hungry family on a tight budget with a scrumptious sweet potato, broccoli and sausage hash. This Frugal Family Feast recipe will feed four or more for less than $15.
Preparing the sausage mixture
The recipe calls for four Italian sausages, which Chef Jorge found for about $1 a link, or you can use bulk Italian sausage instead. You brown the sausage with onions, broccoli and spices in a large frying pan or iron skillet. Before cooking, remove the casings from the sausage if you’re using links. Then break the sausage into small pieces in the pan and cook until it’s no longer pink.
Roasting the sweet potatoes
Sweet potatoes give nice color and body to this dish. You start by peeling the sweet potatoes, then cutting them into 1-inch cubes. Then toss with chopped oregano, extra virgin olive oil, pepper and salt.
Roast the potatoes until they’re tender in a 350-degree oven, for about 20 minutes.
Assembling the dish
Once the sausage is thoroughly cooked, add the roasted sweet potatoes to the pan and mix.
In another pan, fry four eggs sunny side up. Plate a serving of hash, then place an egg on top.
This texture and flavor-rich meal is great for dinner, breakfast or brunch.
Sweet potato, broccoli and sausage hash – courtesy of Chef Jorge Montes
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 bunch of broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 4 links of Italian sausage, with casings removed
- 1 red onion, diced small
- 1 bunch of scallions, sliced small
- 1 tablespoon oregano, chopped small
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 eggs, cooked sunny side up
To prepare the hash:
- Toss the sweet potatoes with oregano, salt, pepper and 4 tablespoons of olive oil and roast on a baking tray at 350 degrees until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a large skillet or sauté pan.
- Sauté the red onion, scallion, broccoli and sausage, breaking the sausage into small pieces and sautéing until it’s thoroughly cooked. Add the spices.
- Add the roasted sweet potatoes.
- Cook together for 2 minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Top each portion with a fried egg.
After you try this recipe, let us know how you like it below or on our Facebook page.