- How to Avoid a Delayed Flight and Other Air Travel Woes
- IPhone 6 Feature Prevents Law Enforcement From Accessing Your Data
- Go Big or Go Home: The Million-Dollar Halloween Costume
- Pop Quiz: Does an Airline Have to Put You Up in a Hotel When Your Flight is Canceled?
- The Restless Project: $60K Income Doesn’t Cut It for My Family
- Target May Be Starting a Free-Shipping War
- Who is the Richest Person in Your State?
- MasterCard Introducing Fingerprint-Scanning Credit Card
If you plan on showering mom with love this Mother’s Day by giving her flowers or sweets, you might want to go with Plan B.
According to a survey by online coupon destination RetailMeNot, moms’ least desired gifts are candy, chocolate and flowers.
In fact, if they had to choose what they most wanted, 30 percent of moms said they would want to spend the day with family.
But don’t think that gets you off the hook for buying a gift for mom this Mother’s Day. The survey found that 61 percent of moms think their immediate family should spend money on a gift.
So, what does Mom want? A day at the spa or a nice meal were the top two picks for Mother’s Day gifts, RetailMeNot said.
Here are some other survey highlights:
- Pony up. Nearly everyone surveyed (91 percent) said they were planning to buy a Mother’s Day gift for their mom this year. On average, they planned to spend $68 to show their love and appreciation.
- Return or exchange? While 9 in 10 people suspect their moms have returned a Mother’s Day gift and exchanged it for something else, the majority of moms (70 percent) said they have always kept their gifts.
- Give her a call. More than 8 in 10 survey respondents said it’s unacceptable to wish Mom a happy Mother’s Day via text message.
If I were to choose a Mother’s Day gift, I would want something creative and personalized – maybe involving family pictures, or a handmade gift from my kids. I have an almost 1-year-old and almost 4-year-old, so Dad would have to help them make a gift, which would make it even more special.
I still haven’t selected a gift for my own mom. I’m never this late and I’m a little stressed out about it. I think I’m going to end up getting her a gift certificate for a pedicure and a framed photo of her and my kids.
What are your plans for your mom for Mother’s Day? Share your comments below or on our Facebook page.