Make your age work for you with these discounts on dining, groceries, clothing, transportation, entertainment and more.
Age has its privileges.
If you aren’t so sure, watch the following video to see Money Talks News founder Stacy Johnson explain how to make your senior status work for you. Then keep reading for more information on 35 of the best senior discounts available.
10 top AARP discounts
The best thing about AARP discounts is you really don’t have to be that old to get them. Anyone 50 years old or older can join for $16 a year. Then you get access to all sorts of perks and discounts.
You can get discounts at Denny’s and Applebee’s as well as a free donut with the purchase of a coffee at Dunkin’ Donuts, but that’s not all. Here are 10 more discounts for AARP members, plus you can find many, many more in the association’s member benefit guide.
- Up to 25 percent off car rentals from Avis or Budget, plus other perks.
- 10 percent off hotel chains such as Choice Hotels, Best Western, Hilton and Hyatt, or 20 percent off Wyndham Worldwide.
- 20 percent off purchases from 1-800-FLOWERS.com.
- Free 45-minute consultation from the Legal Services Network from Allstate and 20 percent off attorney fees.
- 5 percent off monthly mobile phone service from Consumer Cellular.
- 45 percent off a membership to Angie’s List.
- 10 percent off Amazon Kindle e-readers.
- 10 percent off at Bonefish Grill restaurants.
- 15 percent off eligible products or services and 5 percent off shipping costs at The UPS Store locations.
- 5 percent off at Norwegian Cruise Line for select destinations booked at least nine months in advance.
4 transportation discounts for seniors
If you have someplace to go and are a senior, you may be able to take the bus, train or a taxi at a discount.
- Amtrak. Seniors age 62 or older can save 15 percent off many fares.
- Greyhound. If you would rather take the bus, Greyhound offers 5 percent off fares for seniors older than 62.
- Southwest. Seniors older than 65 can get senior fares when flying on Southwest Airlines.
- Public transportation. Many public bus, subway and rail systems offer senior discounts. For example, Pennsylvania seniors 65 or older may be eligible for $1 regional rail fares. Meanwhile, in Delaware, seniors get 50 percent off taxi fares.
3 discounts on monthly bills
Senior discounts aren’t only for splurges. Here are three ways to save on monthly bills:
- Verizon. If you are at least 65 years of age, you can sign up for Verizon’s Wireless 65 PlusPlan, which offers mobile service at a discounted rate.
- Cable TV. Time Warner Cable invites seniors to call and inquire about special senior pricing, and other cable providers may also provide discounts upon request.
- Utilities. Many utility providers, such as those in Georgia, offer discounted rates to seniors. Some income restrictions may apply.
7 shopping discounts for seniors
Whether it’s for groceries, clothes or other goodies, a number of retailers offer special discounts to the senior set. Among them:
- Walgreens. Typically offered once a month, Walgreens has Senior Savings Days when members of its Balance Rewards loyalty program can receive additional savings.
- Rite Aid. Meanwhile, Rite Aid offers a Wellness65+ program that, among other perks, gives seniors 20 percent off purchases every Wednesday.
- Harris Teeter. Every Thursday you can get 5 percent off most items at this grocer as long as you are age 60 or older and have one of the store’s VIC cards.
- Kroger. Kroger is another grocery store that regularly offers senior discounts, but the percentage and dates vary by location. Call your local store for details.
- Kohl’s. If you are 60 or older, head to Kohl’s on Wednesdays for 15 percent off your purchase.
- Goodwill. Your discount and the details will vary by location, but most Goodwill stores offer some type of senior discount at least once a week.
- Bealls. You only have to be 50 to take advantage of Bealls’ 20 percent-off senior discount each Tuesday.
7 senior dining discounts
If you are hungry, you can find plenty of senior discounts at restaurants and fast-food joints across the country. Since many chain restaurants are independently owned, senior discounts may vary by location. However, the word on the street is that you can get the following discounts just by asking:
- Chili’s. 10 percent off for seniors age 55 or older.
- McDonald’s. Discounted senior coffee.
- IHOP. 10 percent off for seniors age 55 and older.
- White Castle. 10 percent off for seniors age 62 and older.
- Shoney’s. 10 percent off for seniors.
- Jack in the Box. Up to 20 percent off for seniors age 55 and older.
- Golden Corral. 10 percent off for seniors age 60 and older.
4 entertainment discounts
Finally, seniors can find some cheap ways to pass the time with these entertainment discounts.
- National parks. The government offers seniors age 62 and older unlimited access to more than 2,000 federal recreation areas, including national parks, for the low price of only $10. The Senior Pass program also gives seniors reduced rates on camping and other amenities.
- AMC Theatres. If you want to see the latest blockbuster, select AMC locations host a Senior Day each Tuesday during which they sell reduced-price tickets to individuals age 60 and older.
- Cinemark. A long list of Cinemark theaters across the nation also offer Senior Days with reduced pricing.
- Museums. Finally, if you are looking for a little culture, chances are your local museum offers a senior discount.
So, these are 35 of the best senior discounts available. But don’t forget: Senior discounts can be hiding in unusual places. Saving some extra money may be as simple as asking your local store, “Do you offer a senior discount?”
What are your favorite senior discounts? Tell us in the comments below or on our Facebook page.