Read These Next
So you’ve decided you want to save a little money, but don’t feel like leaving your house… simple! There are 5 easy home repairs you can do today that will definitely save you money.
- Clean/Replace Your Air Filters – According to Angie’s List, almost 60% of all service calls are because of dirty air filters. A dirty filter also means that your heater/air conditioner will have to work harder to push air through all that dirt. The recommendation is that you change or clean them monthly. Wikihow – How to Replace an Air Filter
- Fix Leaky Faucets & Running Toilets – Drip… drip… drip… That’s the sound of money draining from your home. A leaky faucet can cost you $25 a year if it’s cold water, and $25 a month if it’s hot. Wikihow – How to Fix a Leaky Faucet
- Check Caulking Around Shower & Tub – Caulk is the stuff that fills in cracks and seams, keeping water from seeping into your drywall. Without it, you could end up with mold or dry rot, which may mean major money to fix. Since touching up your caulking is cheap and easy, you shouldn’t let it cost you. Wikihow – How to Caulk a Bathtub
- Check Weatherproofing Around Windows & Doors – This one can be fun! Grab a lit candle and pass it next to the seams around your doors and windows. If the flame flickers, you’ll know air is getting in or out. Fix the sealing cut your energy bill by as much as 10% a month. Wikihow – How to Weatherproof a Concrete House
- Check Outlets, Light Switches & Smoke Detectors – Ok… maybe there isn’t an immediate savings from making sure your wiring is up to spec and your smoke detectors are working, but bad wiring can cause fires and smoke detectors can save lives. Wikihow – How to Replace a Defective Light Switch or Outlet
Ok… so some of these are harder than others; finding the problem is often easier than fixing it. But even if you only do one or two of these repairs, you’ll save yourself some cash. Remember, doing a little is better than doing nothing at all.
Like this story? Watch the video from Money Talks News.