Looking to make a change? Check out 24/7 Wall St.’s list of America’s best cities.
What makes a city a great place to live? While quality schools and a safe community might top your list, someone else might choose a city based on the vibrancy of the local economy or the affordability of housing.
24/7 Wall St. just released its list of America’s best cities to live in. The financial news and opinion site considered a number of variables in addition to those named above, including: crime rate, educational attainment, employment growth, and availability of amenities, such as theaters, restaurants and other entertainment or recreational conveniences.
“While such factors might seem like an afterthought, Americans spend an average of more than five hours each day on leisure activities,” 24/7 Wall St. said.
The top five best cities to live in are:
- Newton, Mass. The list of positives for this Boston suburb is lengthy. Newton features excellent schools, the second-highest rate of residents with a bachelor’s degree, a low crime rate, and lots of amenities.
- Bellevue, Wash. More than 64 percent of Bellevue residents have a college degree. The city is also home to the headquarters of T-Mobile USA and Expedia. The economically vibrant city experienced 5 percent employment growth between 2011 and 2013.
- Mountain View, Calif. “The city had low crime rates, strong-performing schools, a highly educated population, and a healthy job market,” 24/7 Wall St. said. It’s also home to several large high-tech companies and a variety of amenities.
- Pleasanton, Calif. This California town has a fitting name, with one of the lowest crime rates in the nation. Pleasanton also has a low unemployment rate, high median income and a high-quality education system.
- Evanston, Ill. “More than two-thirds of adults living in Evanston had completed at least a bachelor’s degree, among the highest educational attainment rates in the nation,” 24/7 Wall St. said. Evanston, the home of Northwestern University, also has a wide variety of entertainment options.
After Evanston, the next five top-rated cities are: Irvine, Calif.; Troy, Mich.; Cary, N.C.; Flower Mound, Texas; and Johns Creek, Ga.
Click here for 24/7 Wall St.’s full list of the top 50 best cities to live in.
Only cities with populations of more than 65,000 were included in 24/7 Wall St.’s list.
Did your city make the list? What do you think makes a city a great place to live? Share your comments below or on our Facebook page.