America’s Most and Least ‘Successful’ States

Better Investing

What's Hot

Do This or Your iPhone Bill May SkyrocketSave

23 Upgrades Under $50 to Make Your House Look AwesomeAround The House

Trump Worth $10 Billion Less Than If He’d Simply Invested in Index FundsBusiness

11 Places in the World Where You Can Afford to Retire in StyleMore

What You Need to Know for 2017 Obamacare EnrollmentFamily

8 Things Rich People Buy That Make Them Look DumbAround The House

32 of the Highest-Paid American SpeakersMake

Amazon Prime No Longer Pledges Free 2-Day Shipping on All ItemsMore

More Caffeine Means Less Dementia for WomenFamily

9 Tips to Ensure You’ll Have Enough to RetireFamily

30 Awesome Things to Do in RetirementCollege

5 Spots Where Retirees Can Live for Less Than $40,000Real Estate

10 Ways to Reduce Your Homeowner’s Insurance RatesFamily

10 Ways to Pull Together the Down Payment for a HomeCredit & Debt

Chew on This: The Story Behind Your Hershey’s Halloween TreatsBusiness

A new study ranks each state based on the financial success of residents. Find out where rich people in the U.S. are living and how your state measures up.

Have you ever wondered where the richest people in America reside? How would your home state rate if it was measured by the level of financial success among its residents?

Now you can find out, thanks to a recent GOBankingRates report on the most and least successful states.

The report ranks states based on the following factors:

  • Average income of the top 1 percent
  • Average income of the bottom 99 percent
  • Poverty rate
  • Percentage of population in the upper, middle and lower classes
  • Number of millionaires and billionaires
  • Ratio of millionaires to total households

Based on those economic factors, Connecticut — home to nearly 101,000 millionaire households, 12 billionaires and a relatively low poverty rate of 10.8 percent — earned high marks and the top spot on GOBankingRates’ list of the most successful states in America.

The report noted that not only is the average income of the top 1 percent in Connecticut the highest in the nation — $2.4 million — but the other 99 percent who live there enjoy an average income — $56,445 — that’s “higher than incomes in most states.”

Although living in one of our nation’s most financially successful states will not automatically make you rich or successful, GOBankingRates says “living in a state that offers families a richer life and boasts a fair share of people who are thriving financially might help you achieve the financial success you’ve always wanted.”

These are the top 10 most successful states in America based on the GOBankingRates’ report.

  1. Connecticut
  2. Maryland
  3. New Jersey
  4. Massachusetts
  5. New Hampshire
  6. Washington, D.C.
  7. California
  8. Alaska
  9. North Dakota
  10. Virginia

In stark contrast to the success and wealth enjoyed by many residents in America’s most successful states, the following states earned the dubious distinction of being the five least successful states in the U.S.:

  1. Mississippi
  2. New Mexico
  3. West Virginia
  4. Arkansas
  5. Kentucky

Click here to see the report in its entirety, including specific information about each state.

Where did your state rank? Share your comments below or on Facebook.

Stacy Johnson

It's not the usual blah, blah, blah

I know... every site you visit wants you to subscribe to their newsletter. But our news and advice is actually worth reading! For 25 years, I've been making people richer without making their eyes glaze over. You'll be glad you did. I guarantee it!


Read Next: How to Earn Cash Back on Every Online purchase and Get a Free $10 Gift Card

Check Out Our Hottest Deals!

We're always adding new deals and coupons that'll save you big bucks. See the deals to the right and hundreds more in our Deals section.

Click here to explore 1,707 more deals!