Is investing something you can do on your own, or do you need to pay a pro? While pros can come in handy, many are much worse than going it alone.
Author Archives: Stacy Johnson
This week: Deciphering your company’s 401(k), overcoming negative money mindsets, the myth of New Year’s, resolving differences with your spouse, and the flexibility of college savings plans.
The best way to borrow used to be the only way to borrow: from a bank. These days, however, that may be the least attractive alternative.
This week: How to be interesting, why you should have already started saving for next Christmas, 10 ways to make side money, 15 jobs for high-schoolers, and the nine biggest home repair scams.
There are lots of fixes for a bad credit score, such as lowering your credit utilization ratio. But the most effective thing you can do? Pay your bills on time and be patient.
This week: Becoming more confident, how to lower your taxes, what a year without clothes can do, unconventional ways to save, and getting ahead by lagging behind.
Here are some of the most popular categories of reader questions from 2014, along with answers. See if you’ve wondered about some of the same things.
- Duh! 7 Obvious Money-Saving Tips People Often Forget
- Stop and Think: How Much House Can You Really Afford?
- 5 Steps to a Perfectly Organized Garage
- Natural Mosquito Repellent (Sans Toxic Chemicals) May Beat DEET
- The 5 Most Popular Restaurants for Hardcore Breakfast Fans
- TV Viewers Cutting the Cord in Big Numbers
- Morning Deals: Thursday, Aug. 20
- The 15 Best Jobs for Young Adults
- Why There’s a Great Chance You Used Facebook on Monday
- Now Hear This: You Can Save Hundreds on Hearing Aids
- What It Really Takes Just to Get by in America
- 3 Ways to Slash the Cost of Daily Chores
- The Most Emotional — and Emotionless — Countries in the World
- Why Internet Service on Your Next Flight Could Be Faster
- 10 Automakers Sued Over ‘Deadly’ Ignition Flaw
- Making Extra Money: 7 Steps to Start a Pet Sitting or Dog Walking Business
- 12 Tips to Building a Resume That Gets You Hired
- These Colleges and Majors Lead to the Highest Salaries
- The Most and Least Satisfying Car Brands in America
- 5 Tips to Squeeze the Most Cash From Your Old Phone
- Bad Speller? It Could Cost You a Date and More
- Which Pharmacies Deliver the Best Customer Satisfaction?
- 1 Generation Less Reliant on Credit Cards Than the Rest
- Ask Stacy: Can Obamacare Help Me Retire Early?
- Could It Be? Frugality Is a Fall Fashion for Kids?
- Most Working Parents Say They Work From Desire, Not Just Need
- Why Is the Stock Market Tumbling? And Should You Panic?