The best way to borrow used to be the only way to borrow: from a bank. These days, however, that may be the least attractive alternative.
Author Archives: Stacy Johnson
This week: How to be interesting, why you should have already started saving for next Christmas, 10 ways to make side money, 15 jobs for high-schoolers, and the nine biggest home repair scams.
There are lots of fixes for a bad credit score, such as lowering your credit utilization ratio. But the most effective thing you can do? Pay your bills on time and be patient.
This week: Becoming more confident, how to lower your taxes, what a year without clothes can do, unconventional ways to save, and getting ahead by lagging behind.
Here are some of the most popular categories of reader questions from 2014, along with answers. See if you’ve wondered about some of the same things.
This week: Habits of financially happy people, marriage manifestos, health care sharing ministries, the best Christmas present ever, and the relationship of money and happiness.
What was hot in personal finance in 2014? Here’s a list of our most popular stories.
- 5 Myths About Women and Money
- ‘Alice in Wonderland’ Turns 150: Enjoy the Classic, Plus Film and Digital Spinoffs for Free
- 5 Ways to Game Yourself Into Saving Cash
- Lawmakers Move to Improve Benefits of College Savings Plans
- 1 in 5 Americans Plan to Work Till They Die
- Young and Crazy Rich: List Names Record Number of Billionaires Under Age 40
- 8 Ways to Bounce Back From Financial Disaster
- This Simple Idea Could Cut Costs for College Students Across the US
- Report Names ‘Terrible 10′ States Where Taxes Hit Average Americans Hardest
- Want a Job After College? Majors Most Likely to Get You There, and Not
- Tax Hacks 2015: Can’t Pay Your Taxes? Here’s What to Do
- Correcting Mistakes After You File: Amended Tax Returns
- 28 Ways to Save Big Bucks on Pet Supplies
- Be Nice: Your Uber Driver Is Giving You a Passenger Rating
- Bank Branches Disappearing Across the United States
- FTC: Identity Theft Is Consumers’ Top Complaint; Imposters on the Rise
- Land a Mortgage Like a Pro: Three Easy Steps
- Coming Soon: Grocery Store Beacons That Send You Discounts, Aisle by Aisle
- Who’s Downsizing? Not These Retirees
- Trip Tips to Cut the Cost of Spring Break in Half