- You Probably Pay Too Much for These 10 Things
- 7 Keys to Dodging Deadly Bacteria That Lurk in Your Food
- 10 Ways to Get Free Lodging on Your Summer Vacation
- Beating the Clock: 6 Tips for Getting Value From a Face-Lift
- Top 25 Companies With the Most Work-From-Home Jobs
- 16 Cheap Ways to Get Moving, Feel Younger and Live Longer
2. Requirements listed as preferences
I prefer Coke over Pepsi, but I can’t tolerate having my family stay in a hotel room that reeks of smoke. Nevertheless, many online portals will list key hotel room choices – such as bed types and smoking rooms – merely as preferences that they won’t guarantee.
How to avoid this: First, scrutinize the fine print to make sure that the website guarantees the room you want, paying attention to weasel words like preference. If you need a nonsmoking room and the site won’t guarantee it, go back and reserve a hotel that’s entirely nonsmoking. If you’re already stuck with a reservation from a site without the right guarantees, call the hotel and ask a manager to set aside the type of room you need. They’ll usually do this – it’s harder to say no to a living, breathing, speaking person.