This reader had $60,000 in student loans forgiven, but is now facing a big, fat tax bill. How can this be fair?
Credit & Debt
In 22 U.S. states, authorities can suspend your driver’s license or even professional license if you defaulted on your student loans. Some legislators are starting to challenge the practice.
College-branded debit cards are hitting students with high fees — and payment often comes out of financial aid, advocacy group says.
This week: How lunch can make you successful, how life can alter your financial outlook, how new credit cards affect credit scores, tax facts for single moms and 10 popular hacks that don’t work.
The most prestigious schools are not necessarily going to lead to higher income, but they likely will lead to larger debt.
With the housing market recovering and mortgage interest rates still in the basement but creeping up, you may be able to save thousands in interest payments by refinancing your home loan.
It’s not uncommon to find old, counterproductive habits undermining your savings progress. Here’s how to change them.
- Rents Won’t Drop Soon — Just the Opposite, Experts Say
- Super Bowl 50’s Commercials to Break Key Barrier
- Say Goodbye to These 4 eBay Features
- Successfully Negotiate Your Medical Bills in 7 Simple Steps
- Can Hormone Therapy Turn Back the Ticking Clock?
- Now Might Be the Best Time to Upgrade Your Apple iPhone
- How Marital Status Affects Your Car Insurance Bill
- Ask Stacy: What Happens If My Investment Account Is Hacked?
- Why Even the Wealthy are Biting Their Nails Over Retirement
- Move to This State and Improve Your Financial Health
- Products That Keep Pets Safe When They Ride in Your Car
- 8 Steps to Save Big at CVS
- Love vs. Loans: How Student Debt Sabotages Relationships
- 10 Ways to Fight High Medical Bills
- Fiat Chrysler Recalls 1.4 Million Vehicles Vulnerable to Hackers
- Rich Kids Have It Better — and Poor Kids Worse — Than We Thought
- Tricks of the Trade: Secrets the Cruise Lines Don’t Want You to Know
- Tax-Free Weekends Help Take Sting Out of Back-to-School Costs
- Discover Slapped for Cheating 100,000+ Student Borrowers
- 10 Financial Moves That Keep You Sane During a Divorce