- 10 Ways to Get Free Lodging on Your Summer Vacation
- How Americans Rate Their Fiscal and Physical Fitness
- Verizon Deal With HBO: Another Reason to Cut Cable
- 16 Cheap Ways to Get Moving, Feel Younger and Live Longer
- You Probably Pay Too Much for These 10 Things
- Are Your Kids Brats? That Could Pay Off in the Long Run
Americans are more worried now about job security and pay cuts than any time since 2009, so it’s no wonder we’re still trying to pinch pennies wherever we can.
A new Harris poll released last week asked Americans how their spending habits have changed over the past six months. As an added bonus, some of the cost-cutting moves are actually good for our health (eating out less), good for the environment (not buying bottled water), and good for easing traffic jams (more carpooling).
Here are the top dozen, along with the percentages of Americans now using these techniques…
- Buy more generic brands – 67 percent
- Brown-bag lunch instead of buying it – 46 percent
- Go to the hairdresser/barber/stylist less often – 43 percent
- Use refillable water bottles instead of buying bottled water – 39 percent
- Cancel one or more magazine subscriptions – 31 percent
- Cut down on dry cleaning – 24 percent
- Cancel or cut back cable TV service – 22 percent
- Stop buying coffee in the morning – 21 percent
- Cancel a newspaper subscription – 18 percent
- Cancel land-line phone service and only use a cell phone – 16 percent
- Change a cell phone plan or cancel it – 14 percent
- Carpool or use mass transit – 14 percent
Want more advice on using these techniques? Check out these Money Talks News reports…
- Buying quality generics covers a lot more territory than you might think, from spices to cleaning products: 7 Things You Should Always Buy Generic.
- Save money on TV without sacrificing channels: You Don’t Have to Pay for Cable TV and More People Dropping Cable, Picking up Internet.
- Keep eating out from eating up your savings: How To Save Money (Avoid Money Pits).
- Not only can you save on dry cleaning (Stop Being So Clean), you can save on regular ol’ laundry too: Do-It-Yourself Laundry Detergent.
- Save on both your cell phone and land line: Free Unlimited Calling: Make Google Voice One of Your Five.