Family Getting $63 Million for Medicine That Blinded Daughter

10 years ago, Children’s Motrin put her in the hospital for months and left her disabled. The family sued, saying there was no warning.

Read These Next

Better Investing

The Boston Globe has a report on the case of the Reckis family, whose daughter Samantha suffered a severe allergic reaction to Children’s Motrin (the pain reliever, ibuprofen) a decade ago.

She’s now 17, legally blind, and unable to walk more than the length of a football field without becoming physically exhausted. But she’ll now likely receive $50 million (and each of her parents, $6.5 million) from Johnson & Johnson, the company who made the product.

A jury recently found the company didn’t properly warn about potential side effects on the over-the-counter version, and was therefore responsible for Reckis’ Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis. It’s a rare, but often deadly or permanently damaging, reaction to certain medications.

According to the article, the verdict must be upheld by a trial judge. If it is, and interest from the lengthy delay is included, the award could be worth over $100 million.

Sign up for our free newsletter

Like this article? Sign up for our newsletter and we'll send you a regular digest of our newest stories, full of money saving tips and advice, free! We'll also email you a PDF of Stacy Johnson's "205 Ways to Save Money" as soon as you've subscribed. It's full of great tips that'll help you save a ton of extra cash. It doesn't cost a dime, so why wait? Click here to sign up now.

Read These Next

Comments

Check Out Our Hottest Deals!

We're always adding new deals and coupons that'll save you big bucks. See the deals to the right and hundreds more in our Deals section.

Click here to explore 1,656 more deals!