Reply To: Hello from Missouri

Home Forums Introduce Yourself Hello from Missouri Reply To: Hello from Missouri

SherrieL
Participant

Comfortable, I am sorry for your loss. I am married and cannot fathom what life would be without my husband. Yours sounds like he did a very good job providing for you. You don’t mention your age, but you do need to make sure your money will last throughout your life. If you have a good relationship with a fee-only financial planner, that is a good start. Figure out what you need to live on yearly, add a “oops” amount for things like home and car repairs, then figure on inflation. If you have that, or if your money is earning that or more per year, then you are golden! Some friends of mine have been supporting local museums with modest endowments and bequests, and they get free memberships with lectures, dinners, and other perks, like discounts on tours organized by the museums. Bequests that only trigger after your death make it possible to enjoy the benefits and retain income off the money for now. Colleges or other schools may also appreciate even a modest bequest. If you have children, now is the time to discuss estate planning so there are no surprises or hurt feelings later. You are in a good place, relax and enjoy.