Avis Car Rental Poor Customer Service

Home Forums Need Advice Avis Car Rental Poor Customer Service

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Stacy Johnson Stacy Johnson 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Nati
    Participant

I prepaid with a credit card for a 12 passenger van rental from Avis for an upcoming cross country trip. I was contacted by the local Avis franchise informing me that Ford has recalled the passenger van I was going to rent. Again I have prepaid. Avis’s only solution is to issue a refund or give me two vans. Unfortunately, I cannot clone for additional drivers.

Either option does not work for me. I have reservations where I have the “point of no return.” Cancelling is not an option either. The customer service reps can only offer so much and their supervisors were not available. Plus, Avis’s computer system has been down at the same time. I have four days before my trip and do not have a viable solution from Avis.

I took it upon myself to find a solution and I reached out to Enterprise and they have a van I can rent albeit at a higher rate. I have asked Avis to pay the difference but the Customer Service Representative has no authority. I asked for the supervisor and they were not available. The Customer Service Representative could not give me a time table of availability of the supervisor or call back time. Adding to the frustration. The burden has been placed on me to find a solution and is very frustrating.

Do you have any suggestions on how to deal with Avis?

Nati

Stacy JohnsonStacy Johnson

While I’m not privy to the written agreement you have with Avis, my assumption is it allows them to do what they’re doing. So the trick is to get them to do something they’re not legally required to do: pay the difference so you can rent from one of their competitors.

While there may be techniques you could use to bend Avis your way, from going up the ladder to using Twitter, what I’d probably do at this point is get your refund, rent from Enterprise and remember the way you were treated by Avis the next time you need a rental.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by Stacy Johnson Stacy Johnson.
    SherrieL
    Participant

What Stacy says is probably true, but in addition, I would go online to Yelp, or Twitter or another rating site, and tell this story, with as much detail as you can. I would also go to the Ford website, or talk to a Ford dealer and see if that model of van WAS actually recalled, and how long that recall repair would have taken (it’s worth a look to see if they lied to you). I took to Yelp after a dispute with Quicken Loans, and had been asking for a reasonable solution, and Quicken Loans finally came through. I then amended my original Yelp to reflect that (only fair). I would also write a letter to Avis corporate headquarters, again with all the details you can include, and see if they respond. Overall, this will cost you a stamp and some time, but it may get you a result. Good luck.

Stacy JohnsonStacy Johnson

Great advice, SherrieL!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Need Advice’ is closed to new topics and replies.