Disabled who need to work from home and limit income

Home Forums Need Advice Disabled who need to work from home and limit income

This topic contains 18 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  writer18 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    writer18
    Participant

I would like to hear what people have for suggestions for disabled adults who need to work from home but cannot make too much money or risk losing their benefits.
    Also, in my case, I cannot handle any stressful work.
    I was advised by the Volunteer Legal Association for the Arts in my area not to write for a living since one would probably go over the financial limits (in my case , I can only make $999/month or risk losing needed benefits) and not make enough to cover my medical bills if I did go over the limits.
    I need my benefits to stay alive with the cost of my transplant medications and other medical necessities.
    Also, starting and operating a business with a website and all that entails is too overwhelming for me and too stressful and demanding (I have limited stamina and energy and financial resources).
    I do not want to teach online (I looked into it and it appears too stressful with preparing lessons and constantly keeping up with students and I do not have a teaching background).
    I have a bachelor’s degree in English, having published writing professionally (not that much really) in the past and am a baby boomer. I am also very well read in many subjects and very intelligent.
    Ideally, I would like to make $500/month.
    I do not enjoy craft work.
    I have done a lot of office work in the past when I was able to travel to a job but do not really enjoy office work that much and would like to try something new.
    Does anyone have any suggestions of what I could do part time from home or online that could bring me a steady income that would be interesting and profitable that would not be too much pressure and not too competitive?
    I have read a lot of books about jobs from home but none of the suggestions in the books seem to have helped me.
    I am a very hard and diligent worker but do not have a good work resume as I had a hard time holding on to a job due to inability to handle stress.
    I need the money very much now and want to work.
    Please help me!
    Thank you!

Dan Schointuch
    Keymaster

There’s a group on Reddit focused on finding opportunities to do this sort of thing. It’s called Beer Money, for people who just need to make a little extra each month. They discuss various opportunities around the web and share their experiences (positive and negative), so it might be a good resource for you.

Check it out here: http://www.reddit.com/r/beermoney

writer18
    Participant

Dear Dan,
    Thank you for your suggestion.
    I just checked out the site you recommended and it is not at all what I was looking for.
    I need to make at least $500/month and this site is just a dollar here, a dollar there. Also, the work is haphazard and not steady.
    I want a steady, part time job with a reliable employer.
    Thank you anyway for your input.
    I appreciate your thought and effort.
    Sincerely,
    Writer18

Dena
    Participant

What about offering your services as an English tutor or freelance proofreader for a marketing or publishing company?

Laura
    Participant

Hi,

My heart feels for you. I have a BA in journalism and an MLS as a public librarian. On May 2005, I had a horrible brain tumor removed and had to make major changes in life. Due to stress and short term memory, I can never work again.

To help solve the problem, I sold my townhouse and now rent. I do not have to property taxes, homeowner dues, replace appliances, etc.

As I mentioned in an earlier email, I reinvested my money with Charles Schwab, a low fee financial company. I purchased stocks called ETFs, which pay dividends. The employees at Charles Schwab are great.

I hope my idea helps.

Good luck!

Laura

Laura
    Participant

Hi again,

Have considered pet careers. Many people will pay you to visit, feed and walk their dogs. If you can’t walk, try just cats.

If you google different words like “pet sitter” multiple websites should come up.

And some people want you to pet sit!

Just give it try!

L

Waterdude
    Participant

You mentioned about writing for a living. Perhaps setup a separate entity such as an LLC and work for and get paid by that LLC. This way, it would be the LLC that is making the money, not affecting your benefits. You can have yourself paid by the LLC at or below the 500 you mentioned. Look into what the LLC is and how to set it up.

Laura
    Participant

Hi,

Waterdude is correct in setting up an LLC, which deals with all the taxes and is company which is responsible for everything. You might be able to set up an LLC yourself or see a business attorney.

writer18
    Participant

Dear Waterdude and Laura,
    Thank you for your suggestions about setting up an LLC.
    I have taken action into looking in to if this would work for me.
    Also, thank you to every else (Dena, Laura again) for the other suggestions.
    I appreciate everyone’s input.
    Sincerely,
    Writer18

writer18
    Participant

Dear Waterdude and Laura,
    I looked into the LLC idea you had for me and my writing.
    I spoke with a disability lawyer and she said, for people on disability, this would not work.
    You can’t earn more than the stated limits by putting it in an LLC and then paying yourself, if you receive disability. You would lose your benefits.
    Thanks anyway for the suggestion.
    I appreciate your input.
    Sincerely,
    Writer18

Dan Schointuch
    Keymaster

@writer18, have you looked at Amazon Mechanical Turk yet? https://www.mturk.com/mturk/welcome

You’d be paid by Amazon, so you’re working for a reputable company, to perform “Human Intelligence Tasks” (an example would be looking at a picture and rating how funny it is on a scale of 1-10). You can work as much or as little as you want from home while choosing your own hours.

writer18
    Participant

Dear Dan,
    I appreciate your latest suggestion.
    I looked at Amazon Mechanical Turk and it appears you cannot make very much money and that in order to participate, you need to obtain an Independent Business I.D. or give them your social security number.
    They pay in Amazon gift cards or cash deposited into your bank account.
    I already do online surveys which pay in Amazon gift cards and sometimes cash and they do not require me to give out my social security number (which I do not feel comfortable or safe doing online) or obtain a business I.D. or give my bank account number to.
    Since the pay is so low, and because I feel they are asking a lot for so little in return, I do not think this would be a good fit for me.
    I am looking to make more than a penny here and two cents there (which is what it appears they pay for their tasks).
    Thanks anyway.
    Best wishes,
    writer18

Dan Schointuch
    Keymaster

Any legitimate business is going to need your Social Security Number or EIN; the IRS requires it when filing a W2 or 1099 for an employee or contractor respectively.

The one exception is if you’re an independent contractor and the business paid you less than $600 during the year, then they are not required to file a 1099 and so will not need your SSN. An EIN can be substituted for an SSN on a 1099 if you have one, but if you’re a sole proprietor the SSN is still preferred by the IRS.

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Hiring-Employees

http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Information-Returns-(Forms-1099)

If you do the math, Amazon Mechanical Turk can easily meet your needs, especially since you want to limit yourself to less than $1,000 a month. If you average 15 cents per task, and each task takes one minute to complete, you’ll make $9 an hour. So working 110 hours a month will bring in $990. That’s only a little more than 25 hours a week required, and it allows you to work from home on your own schedule.

However, it seems like you might be looking for something that doesn’t exist. A high paying, work from home job that does not ask for your SSN… I don’t think you’ll find any legal options that meet those criteria short of self-employment. And even if you choose to do something like start a blog, ad networks like Google AdSense will also require an SSN or EIN.

writer18
    Participant

Dear Dan,
    Thanks for getting back to me.
    Your explanations make a lot of sense.
    I think I will go back to the website and look into it some more.
    Thanks again!
    All the best,
    writer18

footloose
    Participant

I would think about tutoring students who are struggling in English. You can probably charge up to $40 or $50 per hour, and it is pretty low stress. You could get your feet wet by offering some ridiculously low fee to start with, like $10 per hour for the first 20 hours, just to see if you like the work or not. After you’ve tutored a couple of kids and have some experience and references, you could jack the fee up considerably. One of my friends, also and English major, basically bought her home by tutoring for 20 years. One big advantage of this is that the kids come to you in your home and you never need to go out unless a teacher wants to meet with you (my friend says this is rare, but it does happen).
    Good luck in your search.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The forum ‘Need Advice’ is closed to new topics and replies.