How to handle mothers retirement home bill

Home Forums Need Advice How to handle mothers retirement home bill

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  connie189 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    anniecurd
    Participant

Hello,
    My mother-in-law has altheimers and has been in a nursing home for a couple of years. She ran out of money and her bill is now up to $28,000. My husband applied for Medicaid and VA benefits and it is taking forever to hear back from them, (the nursing home doesn’t accept Medicaid, but my husband said that the VA should cover all of it). The nursing home is harassing us to come up with the money, and my husband wants to take out a loan to pay for it. My question is: if he pays the bill, will the VA pay us back. He unwittingly signed a financial responsibility form when he put her in the home, so it looks like we’re on the hook for the whole amount if the VA doesn’t come through. Should we bow to their pressure and pay the bill with a loan, or put them off until the VA pays them?
    Thank you, Ann

connie189
    Participant

Hi

Not sure of the (monetary and legal) relationship of your husband and his mother.

Who is her court-appointed conservator?

Whose VA benefits is your husband applying for (your MIL is she was in the armed forces?)

I’m not an attorney, but I don’t think that the VA will reimburse if your husband uses his funds to cover his mom’s expenses.

Can you move your MIL out of that facility and apply for Medicaid for her?

Also, next time, don’t sign on personally but as a conservator so you won’t be legally liable for her bills.

I have a pre-paid legal plan called Legal Shield that I used to help settle my MIL’s estate 6 years ago.

For a small amount each month (I pay $15.95) you can get a specialized attorney and ask unlimited questions on any topic. There is a case file assigned to each topic/subject. You will get one free document review and also a letter sent out. Then, any other services are at a discount.

I find that I settle most of my situations on my own with the ability to ask a lot of questions and run scenarios by the lawyers; and only a handful of times did I need a letter sent out. But one letter usually does the trick.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Need Advice’ is closed to new topics and replies.