I don't use washing machine cleaners!

Home Forums Tips and Tricks I don't use washing machine cleaners!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by TWL TWL 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Javanut4673
    Participant

After months of spending money purchasing (Tide) washing machine cleaner, I started to simply leave the washing machine (W M) lid open after the last wash. Over the past year, I found that I didn’t need to use the “cleaner” at all by simply letting the W M air dry! This worked for me but I can’t guarantee that it will on all machine types. (Mine is an LG top loading machine, fyi).

MariaE
    Participant

You can also use 2 cups of white vinegar and run the rinse with hot water, once in a while will help!

Stacy JohnsonStacy Johnson

I also have an LG top loader. I’ve never used washing machine cleaner. In fact, to be honest, I’ve never even thought about it. Our WM is about 18 months old. Seems fine.

DogsRuleCatsDroolDogsRuleCatsDrool
    Participant

Same here. I have an LG top loader and have always left the lid open when not in use. No bad smell yet and I have had it for about 2 years. Glad to know I’m not alone on this.

ShandiM
    Participant

I have a front loader, and it’s very important to dry out the rubber gasket, and leave the door open or you’ll end up with horrible thick black smelly mold that’s very difficult to remove. I rented a room in a house where the front loader hadn’t been cared for, and it was thick with black mold. I used various products over a period of time, and finally got it much cleaner.

There is another possibility if this seems too labor intensive. It’s a simple device called a “washer fan”, that plugs in behind the machine and attaches to the back. It provides the needed air to prevent mold. Last time I checked it was about $75.

TWLTWL
    Participant

Our Whirlpool front loader has a clean cycle and recommends running it with chlorine bleach. Do it rarely because I don’t like adding bleach to our septic system. Leaving door open and occasionally wiping gasket seems to do the job.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Tips and Tricks’ is closed to new topics and replies.