Impact of car loan on credit rating

Home Forums Need Advice Impact of car loan on credit rating

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Stacy Johnson Stacy Johnson 1 year ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    barb1960
    Participant

Hi! I have no debt and save regularly. I own my home outright & I use my credit cards but pay off monthly. According to my Discover card, I have a 834 score. Since I have no debt and am considering a new car with 0.9% rate available, I am wondering if I should take the loan and leave my money in savings which is earning 2.25% semi-annually. I haven’t had a loan since 2002 and since I am 55, I am thinking it may be time for some “recent history”. Your thoughts?

Stacy JohnsonStacy Johnson

If you can earn 2.25 and pay .9, the math alone would suggest borrowing the money is a smart idea.

barb1960
    Participant

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. My real question is on my credit rating. Is it bad to not have had a loan in so many years? Especially since I am considering an early retirement. I want to be able to maintain a good credit score even if I stop working and therefore I thought recent history might help.

Stacy JohnsonStacy Johnson

I published a story yesterday you should read: http://www.moneytalksnews.com/ask-stacy-need-mortgage-have-good-credit/

The short answer, however, is not to worry about your credit score. If you’re paying your bills on time all the time, your score will be fine.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Need Advice’ is closed to new topics and replies.