NATURAL CLEANERS

Home Forums Tips and Tricks NATURAL CLEANERS

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  CAPERNIUS 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    CAPERNIUS
    Participant

I do not buy commercial cleaners, I make my own. literally.

The base for most of my cleaners is vinegar.
    I use lemon juice & vinegar to cut through grease; if I need a scrubber, I will add salt to the mix.
    I use vinegar to clean my coffee maker about 1 or 2 times a month.

As most people know, Vinegar is a fermented solution.
    Since we have a lot of fruit rinds/peels, I do not throw these into the trash, I ferment them into vinegar.
    I live in an apartment so I can not have a compost pile. 🙁 wish I could though.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BAKING SODA
    Baking soda makes for a great polisher for stainless steel, counter tops, etc.
    For a nice, powerful, yet environmentally friendly drain cleaner, pour 1 cup of baking soda down your drain, followed by 1 cup of vinegar. let set for a minimum of 15 minutes(the longer it sits the better it works), then flush with pure hot water.

Something I do following this is, I fill the sink with hot water, then pull the plug & let the force of the water clean out anything that is left behind. This step is optional.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    DENTURE TABLETS
    Denture tablets are good for more than just dentures.
    I use them to clean jars, clean my coffee pot(not the coffee maker, just the pot); If like me you have a white coffee maker, the basket that holds the coffee grounds, will become stained over a period of time…denture tabs will clean this & make it look like new again. a black or other darker colored coffee maker will not show this staining as much as a white one will.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FLOOR CLEANER
    For a vinyl floor cleaner, I use a combination of vinegar, Borax, a wee bit of dish soap, & hot water…scrub well, then rinse. If you do not rinse, the floor will not shine and sparkle like it will when rinsed.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    LAUNDRY DETERGENT
    Again, this is a homemade cleaner.

1 cup of washing soda
    1 cup of borax (can be eliminated if allergic)
    1 cup of baking soda
    1 bar of Fels Naptha Laundry Soap

Grind or grate the Fels Naptha till it is as fine as possible.
    This is easiest done in a food processor, though I would not suggest using the same machine for food that you use for laundry detergent.

After the Fels Naptha is ground/grated, mix all ingredients in a jar or other container for storage. preferably one that is air tight as moisture will cause these powders to become hard as a brick.
    To use in your wash machine, add 1 to 3 tablespoons(depending on how dirty the clothes are) & wash as normal.

It makes no difference if you have a top loading machine, or a front loading…
    this will work in all machines. I have used this in the older regular machines, & also them high capacity newer machines, & had excellent results both ways.
    the cost of this homemade Laundry detergent is about $0.50 per load…
    The cost of commercial laundry detergent is about $1.85 to $3 or more, depending on which detergent you would normally buy.
    Lastly, all ingredients in this recipe are safe for the environment, as they are all natural.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The forum ‘Tips and Tricks’ is closed to new topics and replies.