Old outstanding medical bill & The statute of limitation has ran out

Home Forums Need Advice Old outstanding medical bill & The statute of limitation has ran out

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Alan Mike 10 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Alan Mike
    Participant

I have an outstanding medical bill with a hospital that has been in collection for 5 years (date of service was in October of 2009). The date of service has just passed 6 years last month. They were never reported to any of the credit bureaus, and they never made it onto my credit report. I live in Michigan. Is the statute of limitations on collecting this bill 6 years? If so, 1) is there anything that would extend the statute of limitation beyond that given the fact that I never made any payments to the hospital or to the collection agency? 2) If the statute of limitation 6 years from the time the service was provided, could the collection agency still file a lawsuit against me and win even though the statute of limitation has ran out?

Please note that I contacted a bankruptcy attorney last week, and I asked him if I should settle this bill with the collection agency since the hospital refused to deal with me and told me to contact the collection agency because they sold the debts to this collection agency. He said he would not contact the collection agency. Then I asked him if I should contact the hospital again and see if they would accept say 50% as payment in full. He said he does not think that I should deal with anyone since the debt is no longer collectible because it’s older than six years.

I am totally confused. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dena
    Participant

If neither the hospital or collection agency has been contacting you about the bill, I would let it go. If you’re contacted about it in the future, see if they will agree to a discounted amount if you pay it off.

PhilDanley
    Participant

The debt is collectible for as long as you live! The Statute of Limitations means you cannot be sued to collect it once the SOL expires. But the debt is still out there! Your Catch-22 situation is that if you contact the collection agency about this, they can argue that you’ve reaffirmed the debt and the SOL should start over. Chances are they will forget about you but the SOL does not wipe out the debt.

Alan Mike
    Participant

Dear Phil,

Thanks for your input. I have never heard of “if you contact the collection agency about this, they can argue that you’ve reaffirmed the debt and the SOL should start over.” I am glad I have never gotten in contact with them, and never plan on doing so.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Need Advice’ is closed to new topics and replies.