payoff home

Home Forums Need Advice payoff home

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  lampstache 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    rockhound
    Participant

Age 74. I could add $900/month to my mortgage payment and pay it off in 4 3/4 yrs.

At my age is it worth it?

rockhou

Dan Schointuch
    Keymaster

The answer is going to depend on your individual situation. But in general, you’d want to look at the amount of interest you’re paying on the home vs the amount of interest you think you could earn if you had the money invested elsewhere.

If you earn more interest investing the money than you’d pay out under your normal mortgage payment schedule after taxes, then it’d be better to keep your money invested until your mortgage payments are due.

However, paying down your mortgage is guaranteed to save you whatever your interest rate is, while investing usually involves some degree of risk that you don’t earn what you want or lose money, so you’d need to balance the risk of not earning enough from your investments than you’d save by paying your mortgage early when making your decision.

Because there are tax consequences/benefits that’d have to be factored in to the computation, it might be beneficial to meet with a CPA or financial advisor and have them review your specific situation in detail.

SherrieL
    Participant

Are you “underwater” in the home? If so, just pay the mortgage to have somewhere to live. If not, are you possibly going to need some renovations to enable you to live in the home, like a stair elevator? Should you pass away, will your heirs want to live in the home or will it be sold? If, for example, you have a spouse who may out live you and want to stay in the house, a paid-off house would be a blessing, otherwise, I would maintain liquidity.

lampstache
    Participant

Dan and Sherrie’s responses are right on. Great advice. Without knowing more about your financial situation investments, bills, etc… it’s tough to give an exact answer. Feel free to share more if you’re willing.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Need Advice’ is closed to new topics and replies.