Taxes

Home Forums General Discussion Taxes

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  JB 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    JB
    Participant

The goal of every investment firm is to ‘manage’ wealth and fiduciary responsibility is about as valid as the Hippocratic Oath is to the medical profession.

In an effort to avoid predatory behavior and loosing investment strategies, I’ve distributed my investments amongst various firms, the sum of which has become complicated and time-intensive, especially at tax time.

Now my problem is that CPAs try to overcharge me for filing my taxes, stating ‘complexity’, when there’s really nothing complex about it for them, because I provide all the numbers and do all the work. The numbers coalesce onto various schedules – after I reduce them to simple terms for them. I do the work and they charge as much as they legally can get away with.

How can I find an ethical CPA?
    It seems to me, that what I save by managing my money well, I lose to the CPA, not to mention my second question:
    Where can I find an ethical tax attorney for upcoming estate-planning and trust issues?
    I can clearly see that asking for a recommendation from my CPA is going to lead to nothing but a nightmarish predator fest.

There seems to be no objective information out there.
    I’d like to find a site that tells me about disclosures, complaints or pending lawsuits being waged against tax attorneys that I may be considering.

I’ve heard nothing but horror stories from friends.

Thanks,
    Jean

SherrieL
    Participant

If you are already doing all the work, why pay a CPA? It is so if something gets audited, you will have someone explain (or to blame)? Or is it that you do not understand the tax forms, and your numbers may not be in such good shape as you think? If you do not trust your CPA, you either need a new one or none. Decide why you use one, and act accordingly. I got the name of the one we use from the Dave Ramsey site, under ELPs (endorsed, local providers). I question why you find it so necessary to go to all the firms for your financial dealings. This is probably a source of most of the expenses you incur. Talk to many rich people, and the answer they provide is “keep it simple”.

JB
    Participant

I don’t file myself because I have no access to the software required to run the final numbers, either Federal or State.
    I also can’t electronically file, or, at least, I’ve not yet come up with a way to do that.
    Programs like Turbo Tax are of no use to us.

I can’t get the products I’m looking for at one place.
    It’s not even a matter of not wanting to pay transaction fees, it’s a matter of no access possible.
    For example, I’m in a lot of funds closed to new investors, but not closed to me if they remain put.
    There are cost effective ways to do just about anything, as long as you are willing to put in the leg work, remain diversified, and spread stuff about.

I took your advice and researched Dave Ramsey.
    Boy, there’s a lot of negative press out there regarding him!
    I’m not going to fill out his form.
    Thanks for your response though.

SbolsonSbolson
    Participant

If you can’t use turbo tax, then your taxes must be quite complex and your CPA should charge you accordingly.

farmerzdtrfarmerzdtr
    Participant

Jean, have you considered using an Enrolled Agent to prepare your taxes instead of a CPA? That may save you a few dollars. Just a thought.

JB
    Participant

Thanks! I see NAEA online. I’ve never heard that term before. I’ll look into it.
    Thanks again.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.