The next American administration and society

Home Forums General Discussion The next American administration and society

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Dena 1 year ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Waterdude
    Participant

With the recent developments in American society – SCOTUS on the Affordable Care Act, SCOTUS on same sex marriage, etc and those becoming the law of the land, all of which are frowned on and negated by the republican inclined parts of the society, I see it very difficult for the republican candidates to win the presidency or other office, since their stance would be contrary to the apparent majority of American society and the law of the land. It would look like Hillary Clinton could easily slide into the presidency. Then again, it is still very early. With a Clinton presidency, what would it look like and what positions should we take in the areas of retirement, economy, real estate, taxation, social security, investments, etc?

SherrieL
    Participant

The American president still needs to govern by and through Congress, so the question is, what kind of Congress will be impanelled in the coming years? With the GOP holding the majority, a Democratic president will change things very little. Also, with Citizens United, and the SCOTUS decision allowing corporations rights like natural persons, the law of the land will be whatever lobbyists for corporations and PACS decide it will be. Expect that for the lower and middle classes, things will become more difficult, or at best stay the same. For the highest earners, $250,000 per year and above, I think there will be no great changes to their bottom lines.
    Now, let’s go to an improbable scenario: that a Democratic majority of very liberal Congress members is elected (very unlikely in the House, where only a third of the entire House is up for re-election in any given two-year cycle), AND a liberal Democratic wins the Oval Office. (Not Hillary – think Bernie Sanders).
    The ACA will continue, the minimum wage may be raised modestly, social security will be strengthened, most likely by raising the contribution cutoff. Small change for the high earners, modest benefits for the middle class, better hope for the lowest earners. America is so large a country that change is small, modest and incremental, so my money (and I would be willing to risk a twenty dollar bet) is that the status quo will not change on any topic you mentioned.

Waterdude
    Participant

Thanks, it’ll be fun to watch as the crazy takes on more presence. Current “craziness” is the dust-up going on with Trump. But then again, he has had a history of using the opportunity to get his name out there and “relevant”. Maybe he’ll come up with his next shows using similar themes – “the candidate” or “you’re impeached”.

On the serious side, I hope that eventually, all strive for the better and common good for all Americans in this 21at Century. Difficulty here is that each can have their own “twisted” understanding of what is that better and common good.

footloose
    Participant

SherrieL, I think the entire House and 1/3 of the Senate is up for re-election in any two-year cycle.

SherrieL
    Participant

I stand corrected. Thank you.

SherrieL
    Participant

Waterdude, remember that the people with moderate views are not online as often or as memorably as the “twisted” ones. And, that the current news media is focused most on the extremes, since that is what pulls market share and attention. I still have faith that the majority of the populace is sane and reasonable. (Maybe misplaced faith, we’ll see).

Waterdude
    Participant

It is towards the end of October and the muddy waters are starting to be less dense. Clinton appears to be getting the lions share of the party support and Trump for the republican side. Can Trump really take on and be a persona fit to be POTUS? It is crazy what is going on in the House of Representatives and the Speaker. The Freedom Caucus will still likely stand by their positions and not much can be pushed forward. Collectively, I hope all are working toward the betterment of the American people.

Outside of the political arena, gas is getting cheaper, employment is picking up (ebb and flow), perhaps the economy will take on its next step – raise the spending ability of the middle class. On pensions and social security, the demographic trend is that more retirees will be drawing from the funds that fewer active workers are paying into – it does not seem to be a sustainable scenario. I am concerned over my future ability to draw on my share of the funds that I paid into.

troy1961
    Participant

This is the elite pigs that have been taught nothing but to figure out how to steal from the working class or belong to organised crime. Drugs are coming into this country at a rate no other country sees or profits from drugs anyway. Not one candidate even dare run on a plat form of stopping the corruption and embracing democracy by letting the people vote on more issues. The people Citizens should be voting from their homes and phones on many more issues. War on terrorism and drugs and the amount of people incarcerated is just beyond sanity. This country is corrupt to the core. Any one who has made real efforts to change this ends up DEAD!! The law enforcement agencies are corrupt and have taken over the government…ie the CIA DEA FBI Homeland Security along with the major corporations now having their own private armies we are mostly not even aware of. The people lost the country some time ago and just ride out the corruption. It gets worse and worse for the working class every year.

troy1961
    Participant

This is the elite pigs that have been taught nothing but to figure out how to steal from the working class or belong to organised crime. Drugs are coming into this country at a rate no other country sees or profits from drugs anyway. Not one candidate even dare run on a plat form of stopping the corruption and embracing democracy by letting the people vote on more issues. The people Citizens should be voting from their homes and phones on many more issues. War on terrorism and drugs and the amount of people incarcerated is just beyond sanity. This country is corrupt to the core. Any one who has made real efforts to change this ends up DEAD!! The law enforcement agencies are corrupt and have taken over the government…ie the CIA DEA FBI Homeland Security along with the major corporations now having their own private armies we are mostly not even aware of. The people lost the country some time ago and just ride out the corruption. It gets worse and worse for the working class every year. The people need to realize that inequality causes violence in society not guns. The people need to realize the political party systems are only to keep the people the working classes divided on mostly unimportant issues so these elite thieve can continue to steal from the working classes throwing it away faster than we can even make it. They even scrapped the space program to pay for the corruption of drugs and terrorism. They are not warring against drug and terrorism but forming ties and encouraging both. On the backs of the honest working class people.

Dena
    Participant

I totally agree with you Troy!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.