Move over, turkey sandwich! This week’s Frugal Family Feast recipe transforms Thanksgiving leftovers into a scrumptious turkey and stuffing pot pie that will feed a family of four for less than $15.
Liven up leftover turkey and stuffing by making a fast and easy pot pie the whole family will love. This Frugal Family Feast recipe will feed four or more for less than $15.
It doesn’t take a lot of time or money to transform Thanksgiving leftovers into a dish the whole family will gobble up.
Making the pie filling
Chef Jorge began by making a creamy filling for the pot pie. You saute carrots, celery and onions in a little extra virgin olive oil and butter. Then add heavy cream, bring it to a boil while stirring, and turn the heat down to medium. Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring regularly. It will create a thick sauce.
Toss in cubed turkey, season with salt and pepper and cook for another couple of minutes.
When the filling is ready, transfer it to a baking dish, or you can make individual pot pies by using ramekins or other personal-sized baking dishes.
Preparing the topping
Topping the pot pie is fun and easy. Mix leftover stuffing with eggs and cheese to bind it together. Top the filled baking dish or dishes, and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Stacy and the Money Talks News staff loved this dish so much, we wanted to make turkey and stuffing just to be able to make the pot pie.
Leftover turkey and stuffing pot pie – courtesy of Chef Jorge Montes
- ½ cup white onion, diced small
- ½ cup carrots, diced small
- ½ cup celery, diced small
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound (or 2 cups) roasted turkey (white or dark meat), cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 cups of stuffing, already prepared
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup shredded provolone cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
To prepare the pot pie:
- Cook vegetables in a large pot on medium heat with butter and oil for five minutes.
- Add cream and bring to a boil while stirring.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add turkey, salt and pepper and simmer for two minutes.
- Transfer to a baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the stuffing, cheese and eggs until fully incorporated.
- Top turkey mixture with the stuffing mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
After you try this recipe, let us know how you like it below or on our Facebook page.