- Lower Your Cable Bill With Techniques A Hostage Negotiator Uses
- 7 Ways to Build Your Credit Score Without a Credit Card
- How to Get Started Investing When You Don’t Have Much Money
- A Simple Way to Invest Your Retirement Savings
- 8 Ways to Save on Life Insurance
- 13 Steps to Hiring a Contractor Who Won’t Rip You Off
Time reports on a University of Pennsylvania research study that proved a stereotype true: “Guys with shaved heads are not only perceived by others as more manly and dominant than other men, but also taller, stronger and having greater potential as leaders.”
Researcher Albert Mannes found this happened with real photos, manipulated photos (which made men look bald although they really weren’t), and even just verbal and written descriptions of men. However, the study found bald men were considered less attractive than those with a full head of hair – so if you’ve still got it, might as well flaunt it.
But it’s encouraging news for balding guys, who waste a lot of time and cash worrying about ways to hide, slow, or reverse thinning hair. In my experience, you’ll be happier, look better, and save money just keeping it shaved. Balding is a condition, but bald is a style. (My hair started thinning fast in my early 20s, and while I never spent money on hair loss stuff, I decided to just go bold and bald a couple years ago. That’s me at a wedding last year in the cheesy photo.)
The research article, titled “Shorn Scalps and Perceptions of Male Dominance,” appears in Social Psychological and Personality Science. Viewing the full version online costs $25.