Meet Grandpa Cheese, who has some truly sage advice to give.
This post comes from Macy Williams at partner site POPSUGAR.
My great-grandfather is 99 years old, and living almost a century has taught him a thing or two. Andy Anderson’s life story is one for the big screen: He met my great-grandmother on a Saturday, and they married on the following Saturday. They stayed together until my grandma took her last breath 67 years later.
In those 67 years, they had two children, adopted another son, and were the greatest party throwers in the county (we have the pictures to prove it).
Without going to college, Andy worked his way to the top; he became the corporate manager of the dairy department of Safeway for the entire country. He earned the nickname Mr. Cheese, which eventually turned into Grandpa Cheese among family members, a name that has admittedly raised a few brows.
My point is, Grandpa Cheese has taught me a lot about life. I could think of no better person to give the world a few life lessons. Here’s what he has learned in his 99 years.
- Always maintain a good sense of humor.
- Never be too good to start at the bottom.
- Exercise every single day, even when you don’t feel like it.
- Don’t spend more money than you make.
- Drink orange juice every day.
- Love at first sight is not a fable.
- Having a bad job is better than having no job at all.
- Eat around the mold; don’t go wasting food.
- Your family is the most precious thing you will ever have in life.
- Eat sausage every day — it worked for me.
- Your life is delicate, and if you neglect yourself, you’ll spoil. That’s what cheese taught me.
- Don’t ever be afraid to be your true self.
- Everyone has too many clothes. Wear what you have and quit buying more.
- You must be able to forgive, even if it’s difficult to do.
- Save your money now and spend it later.
To see the complete list of 25 life lessons from Grandpa Cheese, click here.
More on POPSUGAR:
- 121 Things to Do Instead of Spending Money
- 40-Plus Life-Changing Books to Read in the New Year
- 20 Free Printable 2015 Calendars to Ring in the New Year