The fast-food chain is currently testing out a breakfast menu item that contains the leafy green at 800 locations in Southern California.
Kale could be coming to a McDonald’s breakfast menu near you.
The fast-food chain is currently testing out a breakfast menu item that contains the leafy green at 800 locations in Southern California, CNN Money reports.
McDonald’s is testing two new breakfast bowls, one containing kale, following the success of making its breakfast menu available all day.
Nicole Enearu, who runs 13 McDonald’s franchises in Southern California, tells CNN the breakfast bowls contain:
- Egg whites with turkey sausage and Parmesan cheese — and kale
- Chicken chorizo with scrambled eggs
The 800 Southern California restaurants that are testing out the breakfast bowls are also testing out Chobani Greek yogurt in items such as smoothies and parfaits, the Associated Press reported earlier this year.
Kale debuted at McDonald’s last year, and it can now be found in every salad on McDonald’s menu:
- Premium Bacon Ranch Salad with Buttermilk Crispy Chicken. Watch out for the calories, fat and sodium also found in this salad, which was among “The 5 Worst Fast-Food Salads for Your Waistline.”
- Premium Bacon Ranch Salad with Grilled Chicken
- Premium Southwest Salad with Buttermilk Crispy Chicken
- Premium Southwest Salad with Grilled Chicken
- Side Salad
As the AP explains the test runs of healthier menu items:
The change-up in Southern California comes as McDonald’s Corp. fights to step up its image, as sales have slumped amid changing tastes and intensifying competition. CEO Steve Easterbrook, who took over last March, has said he wants to transform McDonald’s into a “modern, progressive burger company.”
Would you want to see items like breakfast bowls with egg whites and kale and smoothies with Greek yogurt on McDonald’s menus nationwide? Let us know by leaving a comment below or over on our Facebook page.