Read These Next
According to HealthDay News, the number of cases of West Nile virus continues to rise.
The death toll has reached 163, up from 147 total last week. West Nile virus usually has no symptoms, but can be dangerous for the elderly and those in poor health.
That’s out of almost 4,000 cases across 48 states – but primarily Texas, South Dakota, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Michigan, Louisiana, Illinois, and California – and the largest outbreak since 2003. There is no current treatment or vaccine, so the only thing to do is prevent it. Here’s how…
- Use insect repellents when outside.
- Wear long sleeves and pants from dawn to dusk.
- Don’t leave standing water outside in open containers, such as flowerpots, buckets and kiddie pools.
- Install or repair windows and door screens.
- Use air conditioning when possible.
Also check out our longer story, 6 Simple Ways to Avoid West Nile Virus.