The new phones come unlocked and without a contract commitment, which gives you the option of switching between wireless carriers and service options.
Amazon Prime just became a lot more valuable.
The e-commerce giant announced a new perk of Prime membership this week:
Amazon Prime members can now take advantage of exclusive pricing — up to 50 percent off the full retail price — on a selection of newly released, fully featured, unlocked Android smartphones.
- The all-new BLU R1 HD is $49.99 ($50 off its retail price of $99.99).
- The new fourth-generation Motorola Moto G is $149.99 ($50.00 off its retail price of $199.99).
Both models are now available for pre-order at amazon.com/prime-exclusive-phones. They come unlocked and without a contract commitment, which Amazon says gives you the option to switch between wireless carriers and service options.
If you’re wondering if there’s a catch to this deal, know that there are ads. As Amazon explains it:
The breakthrough pricing on unlocked smartphones is supported by personalized offers and ads, including deals and product recommendations, displayed on the phone’s lockscreen. When a customer sees an offer, they can tap to learn more about it or simply unlock their phone to dismiss.
In addition to access to the newest perk of discounted unlocked Android phones, subscriber benefits include:
- Access to Prime Day, Amazon’s annual one-day sale designed to rival Black Friday — which is right around the corner, by the way
- Free two-day shipping with no required purchase minimum
- Free video streaming, including movies and TV series
- Free unlimited music streaming
- Free unlimited photo storage
- Free access to more than 800,000 e-books
To try out Prime, visit Amazon’s Prime web page and click on the yellow “Start your 30-day Prime free trial” button, or visit the Prime Student page and click on the yellow “Start Your 6-Month Trial” button.
What’s your take on Prime perks? Are they worth $99 per year to you? Share your thoughts with us below or on our Facebook page.