Read These Next
This week we celebrate our inalienable rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness — so now’s a great time to talk about how to pursue it.
Business Insider has rounded up some scientific research on how people can make themselves happier. Having good friends, a healthy relationship and being charitable are all obvious ones, but here are some others BI mentions:
- Count your blessings. Multiple independent studies show making a daily list of at least three things (even small ones) that made us happy that day make us happier in the long run.
- Shake it up. New experiences stimulate our minds and make us happier.
- Enjoy waiting. Having something to look forward to, such as a nice dinner or an upcoming vacation, can make us happier even before the experience we’re anticipating.
- See more blue. We may have “feeling blue” all wrong; research suggests this color is the most likely to reduce stress and boost happiness.
- Get enough sleep. A British study found that six hours and 15 minutes of uninterrupted sleep are a key ingredient to happiness.
What do you do to make yourself smile? Let’s gin up some happiness on our Facebook page.