Six-figure jobs are concentrated in two specific fields. Learn the tips that might help boost your income.
If you dream of earning a six-figure income in America, you might want to consider a career in technology or health care.
According to the third annual list of the best-paying jobs in the U.S. from Glassdoor — a jobs and salary website — all but one of the top 10 highest-paid occupations are in those two industries.
In an emailed statement to The Washington Post, Glassdoor chief economist Andrew Chamberlain explains why health care and tech careers dominate the list of the best-paying jobs in the U.S.
“High pay continues to be tied to demand skills, higher education and working in jobs that are protected from competition or automation.”
These are the 10 highest-paying jobs in America, according to Glassdoor, and the number of openings in each on the website:
- Physician: median base salary $187,876 — 7,770 job openings
- Pharmacy manager: $149,064 — 2,370 job openings
- Patent attorney: $139,272 — 525 job openings
- Medical science liaison: $132,842 — 391 job openings
- Pharmacist: $125,847 — 5,496 job openings
- Enterprise architect: $112,560 — 1,320 job openings
- Physician assistant: $112,529 — 13,547 job openings
- Applications development manager: $112,045 — 516 job openings
- R&D manager: $111,905 — 185 job openings
- Corporate controller: $110,855 — 259 job openings
How to boost your income
Experts say if you want to boost your earning potential, you might want to brush up on computer coding knowledge, even if you’re looking at a nontechnical job. One report suggests that almost half of the jobs offered in the top income quartile require computer coding knowledge or skill.
Although the careers featured on the list above require a specific skill set and an advanced degree, not all good-paying jobs demand that you go to college. Check out “17 High-Paying Jobs That Don’t Require a College Degree.”
If having the flexibility to work from home is more important to you than earning a six-figure income, check out the “Top 25 Companies for Work-From-Home Jobs.”
What do you think of the top high-paying jobs? Any surprises? Share below or on Facebook.