People who served in the military -- and others -- can save a lot of money at restaurants and stores on Wednesday. Find out who is offering the best deals.
For restaurants and retailers, Veterans Day is both a time to honor former and current service members and an opportunity to lure all potential shoppers.
So on Wednesday, that means a host of restaurants will offer free meals to military veterans and active-duty service members. Through Wednesday, some national retailers also will offer sales and coupons to anyone interested in a deal.
Note, however, that veterans and service members are generally required to show military identification or other proof of service to take advantage of offers for them. It’s also a good idea for them to call ahead to local restaurants to ensure they’re participating.
Free food for veterans
- Applebee’s: Free meal from a special menu on Wednesday.
- Famous Dave’s: Free One-Meat BBQ Salute (which includes your choice of meat and side with a corn bread muffin) on Wednesday.
- Olive Garden: Free entree from a special menu (includes unlimited soup or salad and breadsticks) on Wednesday. Veterans’ and active-duty service members’ families who dine with them also save 10 percent.
- Shoney’s: Free All-American Burger on Wednesday.
- Sizzler: Free lunch (includes a steak, Malibu chicken or six pieces of shrimp) and drink (coffee, ice tea or fountain drink) until 4 p.m. on Wednesday.
- Texas Roadhouse: Free lunch from a special menu and drink (soda, tea or coffee) on Wednesday.
- Tony Roma’s: Free half-rack of baby-back ribs on Wednesday.
- Village Inn: Free breakfast (which includes buttermilk pancakes, a Belgian waffle or French toast) on Wednesday.
Top deals for everyone
- JCPenney: $10 off a $25 purchase in stores (print coupon) or online (use promo code WETHANKU) through Wednesday. Home collections are also 30 percent to 50 percent off during the Veterans Day Home Sale.
- Kohl’s: $10 off a $25 purchase in stores (print pass) or online (use promo code VETERANS10) through Wednesday. (There’s also a Veterans Day Sale and an offer to earn $10 in Kohl’s Cash for every $50 spent, although those two deals end Tuesday.)
- National Park Service: Free admission to national parks, national wildlife refuges, national forests and many other federal lands on Wednesday. (It is also worth noting that for active-duty military members and their dependents, the annual pass to the national parks is always free.)
How do you plan to observe Veterans Day this year? Let us know below or on Facebook.