Uncle Sam will Give You $6,000 to Learn a New Trade

What's Hot

2 Types of Black Marks Might Vanish From Your Credit File SoonBorrow

6 Ways the Obamacare Overhaul Might Impact Your WalletInsurance

7 Dumb and Costly Moves Homebuyers MakeBorrow

This Free Software Brings Old Laptops Back to LifeMore

Obamacare Replacement Plan Gets ‘F’ Rating from Consumer ReportsFamily

Beware These 12 Common Money MistakesCredit & Debt

21 Restaurants Offering Free Food Right NowSaving Money

17 Ways to Have More Fun for Less MoneySave

House Hunters: Beware of These 6 Mortgage MistakesBorrow

30 Household Uses for Baby OilSave

25 Ways to Spend Less on FoodMore

Nearly Half of Heart-Related Deaths Linked to These 10 Foods and IngredientsFamily

5 Surprising Benefits of Exercising Outdoors in WinterFamily

10 Ways to Save When You’re Making Minimum WageSave

Boost Your Credit Score Fast With These 7 MovesCredit & Debt

7 Painless Ways to Pay Off Your Mortgage Years EarlierBorrow

The Most Sinful City in the U.S. Is … (Hint: It’s Not Vegas)Family

The True Cost of Bad CreditCredit & Debt

10 Companies With the Best 401(k) PlansGrow

This Scam Now Tops ID Theft as the No. 2 Consumer ComplaintFamily

6 Stores With Awesome Reward ProgramsFamily

6 Ways to Save More at Lowe’s and The Home DepotSave

6 Healthful Treats for Your DogFamily

New Study Ranks the Best States in the U.S.Family

Thousands of Millionaires Moving to 1 Country — and Leaving AnotherGrow

Strapped for College Costs? How to Get the Most From FAFSABorrow

6 Overlooked Ways to Save at Chick-fil-AFamily

Ask Stacy: What’s the Fastest Way to Pay Off My Mortgage?Borrow

Where to Sell Your Stuff for Top DollarAround The House

8 Ways to Get a Good Price on a Shiny New AutoCars

Ask Stacy: How Do I Start Over?Credit & Debt

Secret Cell Plans: Savings Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint Don’t Want You to Know AboutFamily

30 Awesome Things to Do in RetirementCollege

14 Super Smart Ways to Save on TravelSave

The Rich Prefer Modest Cars — Should You Join Them?Cars

You’ll Soon Pay More to Shop at CostcoSave

10 Ways to Save When Your Teen Starts DrivingFamily

A federal grant program helps displaced workers train for new, in-demand careers with up to $6,000.

Want a free education to help you land a well-paying job?

If you have been laid off, Uncle Sam stands ready to pay up to $6,000 for you to start over and retrain for a career in an industry that is hiring.

The money, awarded through the federal Workforce Investment Act, can go toward an associate’s degree at a community college, classes at universities or vocational training for sought-after skills, such as repairing air conditioners, designing websites or learning Microsoft Office.

You could emerge as a registered nurse, a digital cartoonist or even a forklift operator.

At approved institutions, the money can be added to Pell Grants awarded to low-income students. That means you could receive $5,500 a year in Pell Grants as well as the one-time $6,000 Workforce Investment grant. There are no income limits for the federal retraining money.

You can get your $6,000 training grant as long as you are unemployed and have been certified to qualify by your state, which can take some time. You may also qualify if you were formerly self-employed or are a displaced homemaker.

Your state’s unemployment office, or what is called a One-Stop Center, administers the grants and has a list of approved classes and training for in-demand jobs.

Your center will give you a list of high-demand careers with approved educators, including expensive private schools. Classes may last two years or as little as a day or a week. As long as you qualify for the money, the government will pay for the cost of the training – even if you find work after starting.

However, you are out of luck if you find a new job before you get approved for the training.

The government is also not responsible for any tuition above $6,000. Students who want to take more expensive programs will have to apply for loans, Pell Grants, financial aid or scholarships – or pay extra tuition from their own pockets. Read our story on 5 Ways to Pay For College.

Counselors also warn that receiving the education does not guarantee a job. Weigh your job prospects carefully before signing up to pay extra tuition at private schools.

But the training has provided a stepping stone to a new job for many.

All those enrolled in accounting operations, administrative assistant, auto body repair, electrical, commercial food and surgical training programs at a Fort Lauderdale-area technical school won jobs, according to a survey released this spring. So did all those who received the government grant to train at Broward College in Florida for criminal justice, business administration, physical therapy or to become a registered nurse.

The CareerOneStop website, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor, has a tool to help you find careers that are most in demand for people with your occupational level.

If you have at least a bachelor’s degree, the fastest-growing occupations are:

  • Biomedical engineer
  • Network systems and data communications analyst
  • Financial examiners
  • Medical scientists (except epidemiologists)
  • Physician assistants

For those without college degrees, the fastest-growing occupations are:

  • Home health aide
  • Personal and home care aide
  • Physical therapist aide
  • Dental assistant
  • Medical assistant

Donna Gehrke-White is a journalist and author in Florida.

Stacy Johnson

It's not the usual blah, blah, blah

I know... every site you visit wants you to subscribe to their newsletter. But our news and advice is actually worth reading! For 25 years, I've been making people richer without making their eyes glaze over. You'll be glad you did. I guarantee it!


Read Next: Lookin’ Good! How to Get a Killer Deal on Eyeglasses

Check Out Our Hottest Deals!

We're always adding new deals and coupons that'll save you big bucks. See the deals to the right and hundreds more in our Deals section.

Click here to explore 1,902 more deals!