4. A trainer helps you identify and reach goals
As I set my goals, she helps me to attain them. She encourages me by noticing improvements that I wouldn’t even think about. This is helpful when discouragement tries to set in.
5. A trainer will personalize your workout
Quality trainers know how to customize a workout based on your individual strengths, weaknesses and goals.
Mine helps me to increase my cardio endurance with a running interval plan. Since one of my short-term goals is to do more mens push-ups, my trainer is including several types of difficult push-ups in my sessions that are quickly enabling me to build my strength and move toward more mens push-ups.
6. Trainers can reduce the possibility of injury
An injury can derail a workout program and cause so much discouragement that you could lose momentum and determination to continue. A good trainer will help you to do exercises properly so that you won’t injure yourself.
When my knee began to act up, my trainer had me cut back on my running intervals and ride an exercise bike on some days. She also pointed out that I may be developing an imbalance between my quadriceps and hamstring muscles, which can lead to knee injuries. Since my quads are stronger than my hamstrings, she began targeting hamstring strength. These are things I would not have known to do.
How to find a trainer
If you’re convinced that you would benefit, here are some things that you should look for in a good trainer:
- Make sure to hire a personal fitness trainer who has received certification from a reputable licensing organization. The American College of Sports Medicine is considered the gold standard of certification. The American Council on Exercise is another good certification organization. Your trainer should have expert qualifications, and these organizations help to ensure that by teaching biomechanics, anatomy and physiology, specifics on form and muscle groups, and fitness testing techniques. You can check to see if your trainer is certified via the links above.
- Can your trainer customize workouts to your individual needs? Some trainers are better at this than others. If you aren’t receiving individual customization, you may as well just take a class at your local gym. That individualization is a huge advantage that you get with a trainer.