Cars are one of those things you really shouldn’t buy new. But if you are determined to get a new car anyway, it might be wise to consider a Toyota first.
The Japanese brand dominates Consumers Reports’ rankings of the best new cars of 2018. Among 10 of these “Top Pick” vehicles that CR recently named, four are Toyotas. They include not just the perennial favorites like the Corolla, but also a minivan and an SUV.
This is quite an accomplishment, considering Consumer Reports’ stringent standards, which weigh a car’s performance in both CR testing and owner surveys.
Specifically, the nonprofit publication chooses its Top Picks based on an overall score that reflects the following vehicle characteristics:
- Road-test performance
- Owner satisfaction
As CR puts it:
“A car that scores high in all four of these key measures is truly extraordinary.”
The best cars of 2018
The 10 Top Pick vehicles that Consumer Reports recently released are:
- Toyota Corolla (Top Pick for compact car)
- Chevrolet Bolt (compact green car)
- Audi A4 (luxury compact car)
- Toyota Camry (midsized car)
- Chevrolet Impala (large car)
- Toyota Sienna (minivan)
- Subaru Forester (compact SUV)
- BMW X3 (luxury compact SUV)
- Toyota Highlander (midsized SUV)
- Ford F-150 (full-sized pickup truck)
This is hardly the first time we’ve seen a Japanese brand dominate a list of top-ranked vehicles. Whenever we’ve seen any car brand take multiple spots on such a list, it’s generally Toyota or Honda.
To name just a few recent examples:
- Earlier this year, when iSeeCars.com named the cars most likely to last 15 years, Toyota took nine of the 15 spots.
- In Kelley Blue Book’s 2018 Best Buy Awards, Honda took six of the 12 spots.
- In Edmunds’ 2017 “Most Wanted” awards, Honda-owned brands took five and Toyota-owned brands took four of the 16 spots.
Whether your next car is new or used, be sure to first check out “11 Essential Tips for Buying the Right Car at the Right Price.”
What car do you consider your Top Pick? Let us know by commenting below or over on our Facebook page.
How to find cheaper car insurance in minutes
Getting a better deal on car insurance doesn't have to be hard. You can have The Zebra, an insurance comparison site compare quotes in just a few minutes and find you the best rates. Consumers save an average of $368 per year, according to the site, so if you're ready to secure your new rate, get started now.